Oak Species

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary A.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been cutting firewood for a long time in eastern Nebraska and this is only the second or third time I've scored quite a bit of Oak. I know there are a few different oak such as white, red, burr and probably a few others. All the oak I've cut this fall and winter (10 or so cords) has been either standing dead or down for years. Nobody has cut wood there since the 70's. My question is why does some of it seem a little soft, and some of it like a rock. Some of it without any bark at all on it is hard and very heavy, and real dark colored grain while the lighter colored oak does not seem so hard or as heavy. Hell some of it on the ground looks soft and rotted but it's just a disquise as it is so hard and dense its tough to cut. All seems to heat good and last a long time, but I've been saving the dark, heavy stuff for the colder weather as it seems to last a long time. Is it because of the different species or the way it met it's demise? gary

I've been cutting firewood for a long time in eastern Nebraska and this is only the second or third time I've scored quite a bit of Oak. I know there are a few different oak such as white, red, burr and probably a few others. All the oak I've cut this fall and winter (10 or so cords) has been either standing dead or down for years. Nobody has cut wood there since the 70's. My question is why does some of it seem a little soft, and some of it like a rock. Some of it without any bark at all on it is hard and very heavy, and real dark colored grain while the lighter colored oak does not seem so hard or as heavy. Hell some of it on the ground looks soft and rotted but it's just a disquise as it is so hard and dense its tough to cut. All seems to heat good and last a long time, but I've been saving the dark, heavy stuff for the colder weather as it seems to last a long time. Is it because of the different species or the way it met it's demise? gary
Species and how long it's been on the ground. Cut some today on the ground and was thinking how much the ground affects wood. If it's leaning off the ground whole different situation. Bur oak dead standing is one of my favorite woods. Beautiful stuff.

Just for reference, there are red oaks and white oaks, with any oak species being in one or the other.

As a generality, oaks are very slow to air-dry, or in a kiln. Twice as much time needed as for other hardwoods. You can burn it wet, but it'll be very slow to light, prone to smoking, and the moisture will leave as steam up the pipe- not good. That's how you load fuel for chimney fires.

Just for reference, there are red oaks and white oaks, with any oak species being in one or the other.

Yup. And the red oak group have leaves that are pointed on the ends, and the white oak group has rounded ends.

Lots of individual species in each group. Lots of different looks to the oaks in general too (leaves, acorns, bark, as well as wood), but a look at the end grain will show very definite rays. Classic for oak of any kind.

I have a woodshed full of ash right now, as the EAB has done a number in this area, but I really like getting into oak. After all, I live in an area known as the Oak Openings.:msp_biggrin:

Back