Oak tree damage from Hurricane Laura

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8wr_zj

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We have a large oak tree that we would like to keep. However it has lost the largest branch and it tore the trunk vertically. Can someone give me guidance on what to do? Or should it be taken down?
ffe4599d0afbd5c5bc811c743f54032a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Have one out back that is scared worse than that. Been there 30+ years. But, which way is it leaning, at your house or truck?

I would say because of the winds we had it is leaning slightly towards the house.

From that pic, it doesn't look really deep? That means minimal immediate strength loss.

I'd keep and monitor. Decay will progress deeper into the trunk, but the tree will also respond with reaction wood that is stronger than regular wood. So it is a race against the growth vs. decay. I'd have a Tree Risk Assessment Qualified Arborist evaluate it now to see if there is other damage we aren't seeing. If that is it, I'd probably want to come back in 5 years to evaluate again. At that time, set a new timeline...maybe 5 more years, maybe 10...maybe recommend removal at that time.

That is all about the branch wound. What is that hole I see at the bottom left? How deep does that go??? MAYBE a much bigger concern than the branch...or maybe not. Needs a closer look.

I think it is a weird angle and a piece of bark that has fallen in the right spot. No hole there. Should i clean up the edges of the limb tear out. It has lost a few other limbs as well along with most of the leaves in the hurricane.

If you decide to try and keep it, you must seal it to keep out moisture and insects.
I've been using Howard Feed-N-Wax for years. Insects run from it. It has not failed me yet. I apply it three times per year. Spring, summer and fall.
Several other products on the market.
Good luck.

If you decide to try and keep it, you must seal it to keep out moisture and insects.
I've been using Howard Feed-N-Wax for years. Insects run from it. It has not failed me yet. I apply it three times per year. Spring, summer and fall.
Several other products on the market.
Good luck.
Never heard of it before, googled and found it's a furniture polish
https://www.howardproducts.com/product/feed-n-wax-wood-polish-and-conditioner/... thought you were nuts - until I googled again and found this video

What say you, @ATH

Nope...First, the tree's natural response is triggered by exposure to oxygen so you need the edges of the wound to be exposed. Just leave it open. There is some evidence that trichoderma fungi are antagonistic to decay fungi. However, there really isn't good understanding of how those are best applied, etc...

You can't seal it "enough" without some pretty nasty chemicals (think pressure treating) - and even then, decay fungi eventually win. If that could prevent the tree from rotting , why not use it on every deck and fence rather than pressure treating wood?

The guy in the video doesn't seem well versed in tree care/biology:
1) Trees don't die from decay as he says in the beginning of the video. In fact, large cavities often result in very little strength loss.
2) Trees never heal. They compartmentalize. He refers to "healing" several times.
3) He says they don't cover living tissue (about 2:30) WHILE showing painting over the edges of the pruning cut where there is living tissue.

Fungi are microscopic and airborne, so you aren't going to seal it well enough.

Back