Oaktrees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no set way short of cutting it down or doing boring the trunk.

One rule of thumb in open grown trees is 1/3-1/4 inch of dia per year (twice the ring width).

measure the circumferance say 124 inches at 4.5 feet. (standard mesurment for Diameter at Brest Hight DBH)

D=c/Pi or 40 inches rounded up

40*4=160
40*3=120

gives you a ball park range.

this is assuming a minimum average ring density of 8 per inch. In old growth trees with very tight grain this would not work.

The Urban Reality

As John Paul Sanborn stated, "...this is assuming a minimum average ring density of 8 per inch. In old growth trees with very tight grain this would not work."

One should really take to account the words 'this is assuming'. In an urban setting there are so many variables that could account for non-typical growth in plants, not to mention your oak tree.

An urban soil can be defined as a soil material having a non-agricultural, manmade surface layer more than 50 cm (approx. 1-2/3 feet for the American readers) thick, that has been produced by mixing, filling, or by contamination of land surfaces in urban and suburban areas. Therefore, a tree's ability to grow in a typical, natural fashion could be hindered by soil structure modification and compaction, restricted aeration and water drainage, interrupted organic matter and nutrient cycles, foreign contaminants, and increased soil temperatures. This is only a scrap in the surface of problems man has created in an urban environment.

Therefore, if a tree has been stress by any one or multiple numbers of the pre-described environmental alterations, false predictions could be made when attempting to accurately age a tree. Therefore, without actual removal of the tree and counting the annual growth rings or by turning to extracting a radial core of wood with an increment borer, one can honestly say that the prediction is simply that...............a prediction.

Urban Forests have made the jobs of arborists everywhere a trying and complicated science. This personally is what drives me to continually learn more. We, as the collective group of arborists, can look forward to an ever changing urban environment and thus more headaches down the road. Personally, I can't wait until the next challange knocks upon my door!

Shane Freeman

Yup, most Rule of Thumb (ROT) mesurements are just SWAG estimates.

rule of thumb- a lot of ROT
SWAG- Scientific Wild Assed Guess
;)
But it does give a pretty good range to say where it might be.

i thought swag stood for : silly wild ........! kinda like fubar and bohica!

SOL
SNAFU

I first heard FUBAR in "Private Ryan" that had to be a recent acronym. SNAFU was the comon one in WWII
Situation Normal All F*cked Up. Whiche the Army officialy adopted as ...All FIXED Up.:rolleyes:

And you fav FTS!

AMF

Back