Odd request in the name of science--40ft pruner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgluvna

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Stumbled in while looking for the best way to concoct a method of clipping pinecones down from longleaf pine trees :confused: . They will need cut down I think, instead of simply plucked off. I am considering a 40' pruner with the intention of building a large structure to lean the pole against since 40' of pole is going to be very difficult to manage. Tree climbing is out because it damages the trees too much, plus the cones grow at branch tips that wouldn't hold my weight anyway :tongue2:

I need to get cones from about 40' into the air, and the lowest cones will probably be at least 15' up, and because of liabilities at my school, I'll probably need to make sure I stay on the ground while doing this. Although, if anyone has any ideas about who to talk to about heavy equipment, lifts, anything at all... Please let me know.

Anyway, what I *think* I really need help with is finding an appropriate pruner head and corresponding pole sections that can total 40'. I'll probably sample at least 50 trees, with perhaps 30 cones per tree. So it needs to work, be as fast and cheap as possible, safe, and easy for a complete beginner.

If anyone wants more detail about my project let me know.

If you get good with a throw line, I would think you could just throw that around the cones and pull them off. I normally use the thinner diameter Zing It. However, for this use, I'd probably get one that is a little thicker so it won't cut into your fingers when you pull on it.

Climbing should not damage tree...don't allow spikes on a live tree. But it sounds like there may be other issues preventing climbing as well.

Otherwise, find a lightweight pruning head that will fit on top of a pole. Get professional poles from a real arborist supply place (see site sponsors...most of the best ones are up there) - not from Lowe's or Home Depot. Regardless of what you do, having 5 eight foot poles is going to be very tough to control. The poles will bend a little, there will be a little bit of give at each junction (not too big of a deal with 2 poles...but 5 will be) making the whole outfit wobbling all over the place that high. Even with support. I'd try throwline first.

If it is for a school, maybe a tree care company would help in exchange for a little publicity. You might also ask if rental place will lend the school a lift. Does the school district own a platform lift for changing light bulbs in the gym or stadium?

Good ideas

I will look into them. I work for a large university, so maybe I can find a lift I can borrow etc... Another quandary is that I will be working out in the woods, so the ground won't be all that stable, and at times could be sand.

How would a throw line work to pull down cones? I looked up what a throw line is, but I'm not sure how just a loop of rope sliding down the branch would take off the cone. Granted, I'm not entirely sure how much force is actually needed, but what I'm picturing doesn't seem like it could be enough.

Also, I was thinking 4 10' poles, but I think now that that might actually *increase* wobble....

Keep the good thoughts coming--I need all the help I can get! Thanks!

If you get the throwline around the cone, I am pretty sure you'd be able to pull it off. You aren't going to break the line pulling on the cone! Longleaf cones certainly give you a large target.

I will look into them. I work for a large university, so maybe I can find a lift I can borrow etc... Another quandary is that I will be working out in the woods, so the ground won't be all that stable, and at times could be sand.

How would a throw line work to pull down cones? I looked up what a throw line is, but I'm not sure how just a loop of rope sliding down the branch would take off the cone. Granted, I'm not entirely sure how much force is actually needed, but what I'm picturing doesn't seem like it could be enough.

Also, I was thinking 4 10' poles, but I think now that that might actually *increase* wobble....

Keep the good thoughts coming--I need all the help I can get! Thanks!

4 10' poles better than 5 8' poles. Takes away the wobble at one of the joints. I think you can get 12' poles, only two joints to get to 36'. Shipping is different cause UPS will only handle 8' lengths (I think). Still quite a wobbly contraption I would think but maybe enough to knock cones out.

You need a shotgun with beanbag projectiles, a hard hat, and eye protection.

Why are you taking the cones?

You could always hire a local arborist who can climb spikeless. With a good tie in point, he should be able to get out far enough to gather the cones. You mentioned concern about damaging the trees, but any halfway decent climber should be able to get the cones without any harm to the trees at all. It might be fairly expensive, but so would equipment rental.

I would be happy to do it if I were in the area. It probably wouldn't take more than two full days of climbing to get 30 cones off of 50 trees.

Latest posts

Back