Odd tips from the garage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
explain please.

Explain hemostats...or how they're used? I've found they come in handy for fishing fuel filters out of tanks, getting little bitty screws and bolts started, holding small backing nuts, reaching around corners and into tight spots. The fact that you can lock them closed comes in real handy.The fact that you can lock or unlock them one handed is a real advantage. If needed you can also clamp off a bleeding artery or vein...thats what they're intended for.

File:Hemostats.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Butter knife is a good bar groove cleaner
Milk crates make nice stackable storage and can double for saw horses in a pinch
Stainless dog food dishes are a great parts holder and also make a nice cleaning dish for smaller parts
Lock&Lock tupperware dishes make for a really handy saw chain container to throw in the tool box or truck when you go cutting
Scrap cardboard on the bench when your working on saws sucks up the oil n grime
Old innertube is always handy to have around
A Sharpie is invaluable in the shop
Of course, a radio, beer and good lighting are a must in any shop!

s219, about duct tape. My buddy showed me a handy tip - he wrapped some around a business card. It's about 1/4" thick. Can go in your pocket, glovebox, where ever...

An old muffin tin is great for holding small parts. A big cookie sheet also makes a great tray to tear down a saw on and keep all the gunk off the bench.

Cardboard and cookie sheets to keep the gunk off the bench?
C'mon, it ain't work bench if'n it ain't got gunk on it.
A "real mans" bench is oil and grease soaked, has paint spilled on it and drippin' over the edge (pink paint don't count), a pile of left-over parts from things you've taken apart, fixed and put back together (some day I'll figure out where they're suppose to go), at least three blood stains, a couple holes where ya' went too far with the drill (filled in with paint and grease), a shop vise with a bent handle, at least two "burnt" areas, notches in the front edge where ya' hooked it with the circular and/or jig saw, a half-full coffee cup with something (gross, according to my wife) growing in it, several rolls of various tape (with dirt and metal shavings stuck to them), something that you're relatively sure was half a baloney sandwich at one time, a bench grinder with missing shields and an inch of grindings around it, at least one power tool that you borrowed (two years ago) and leave on the bench-top until ya' remember to return it, half-a-dozen filthy shop rags (one with blood on it, another is a snot rag but you don't remember which one), one of those "organizers" with the plastic drawers (has to have a few missing drawers and nothing "organized" about the contents... Christmas present from the kids one year), several empty beer cans, some broken glass, 4 bolt-holes clean through the bench-top where something was once mounted (but you can't remember what), and knife jabbed into the bench-top.

Keep your eyes open around carry outs. They are constantly updating and changing tator chip racks, food displays etc. They usually just throw the old ones out. They can make great shelves, pegboards, and cases.

Great thread. Sounds like some of us have great garage work spaces. How about adding a photo or two to accompany the great ideas. :msp_biggrin:

Keep your eyes open around carry outs. They are constantly updating and changing tator chip racks, food displays etc. They usually just throw the old ones out. They can make great shelves, pegboards, and cases.

+1 I have a rotating display rack with 1ft long pegs that works great for painting parts.

If you've gotta rebuild wheel hubs on a trailer, try putting the outer races and seals in the freezer for a little while. Makes installing them much easier. (translation: no hammering)
When, not if, you strip the head of a phillips screw head, spit on the tip of your screwdriver, stick it some sand/dirt/etc., (get yer heads out of the gutter!) then commence to removing the screw. Or you can buy the compound made especially for this.

Steve

An old muffin tin is great for holding small parts. A big cookie sheet also makes a great tray to tear down a saw on and keep all the gunk off the bench.

The cookie sheet is a must! :clap: I also keep the spare coffee cans handy for keeping parts in one spot so they don't vanish. Recycled saw chips for speedy dry is a staple also :)

I had a mouse problem. I now have a small panther of a shop cat--Grapple, who has taken care of that problem. In return, I have put a nice fleece pillow in his cat carrier, and will wrap the carrier up with insulation so he will keep warm in the upcoming winter.

Love the Grapple cat. :rock:

Cardboard and cookie sheets to keep the gunk off the bench?
C'mon, it ain't work bench if'n it ain't got gunk on it.
A "real mans" bench is oil and grease soaked, has paint spilled on it and drippin' over the edge (pink paint don't count), a pile of left-over parts from things you've taken apart, fixed and put back together (some day I'll figure out where they're suppose to go), at least three blood stains, a couple holes where ya' went too far with the drill (filled in with paint and grease), a shop vise with a bent handle, at least two "burnt" areas, notches in the front edge where ya' hooked it with the circular and/or jig saw, a half-full coffee cup with something (gross, according to my wife) growing in it, several rolls of various tape (with dirt and metal shavings stuck to them), something that you're relatively sure was half a baloney sandwich at one time, a bench grinder with missing shields and an inch of grindings around it, at least one power tool that you borrowed (two years ago) and leave on the bench-top until ya' remember to return it, half-a-dozen filthy shop rags (one with blood on it, another is a snot rag but you don't remember which one), one of those "organizers" with the plastic drawers (has to have a few missing drawers and nothing "organized" about the contents... Christmas present from the kids one year), several empty beer cans, some broken glass, 4 bolt-holes clean through the bench-top where something was once mounted (but you can't remember what), and knife jabbed into the bench-top.

What were you doing in my shop?:hmm3grin2orange:

leaf blower can work good at cleaning out the shop real good. also drying off a freshly washed car.old dressers stacked up can make great storage. running some thin weatherstripping around the edges of overlay cabinet doors helps keep dust out of the cabinets.
one that i learned recently is using some 80-100 grit sandpaper on a dowel to roughen up the surfaces on a drill chuck to help it grip drill bits, etc. better. wrap the sandpaper around the dowel , insert the end in the chuck and turn it at a low speed to roughen up the surfaces. did this on an older than me craftsman 1/2" drill that had drill bits slipping in all the time. now it'll break my wrists if im not careful.

old bikes

I cut the front forks off a bunch of junk bikes just below where they go into the frame, then welded them onto a piece of 1.5" angle iron (with the curve going up) and then lagged it to the studs in my shed to make a great shovel, rake, etc hanger. Used the curved handle bars mounted to a 2x4 to hold my brushcutter. Kick stand to hold leaf blower(folds out of way too).

Zip ties. Far more handy than duct tape.

Love zip ties, but the nylon that most of them are made of is sensitive to moisture. Over time Nylon will absorb moisture from the air, and then it gets brittle. If you've ever bought cheap zip ties and they break as soon as you tighten them, now you know why.

I actually prefer electrical tap to duct tape.

one that i learned recently is using some 80-100 grit sandpaper on a dowel to roughen up the surfaces on a drill chuck to help it grip drill bits, etc. better.

The reason this works isn't because it "rough's up" the jaws on the chuck. The reason that a chuck won't hold a bit is because the jaws are not each applying equal pressure along their entire length. The jaws have high and low spots in them. Sanding the insides of the jaws knocks the high points off so that they apply more pressure more evenly and uniformly to the bit. You're basically doing a very rough lapping job to the jaws. The reason that a good drill chuck like a Jacobs is so expensive is because all the components are made to a very high level of precision. This is also why a good chuck is so expensive. I bought a mid grade 1/2" chuck for my mill and it cost more than those 15" drill presses that you can buy at any farm supply shop. It has a spanner wrench instead of a key, but if I'm only doing light work I can run up to a 1/4" drill bit hand tight and it will never come loose on me. A few pounds of pressure with the spanner wrench and it holds almost as tight as a collet.

Back