The CSM Survival Kit: What You Do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsaw

"Been There, Milled That"
Reaction score
Okay, I see this as a post that someone new to Chainsaw Milling could look at and get a picture of what is needed, and how we integrate the pieces parts into our "worlds". The way I see it, the old guys could learn things from other old guys, and the new guys would get a great resource thread. I learned from experience first, then found some good info on line.

So, I've added some pictures, and may have to expand on this further, unless someone else comes up with something better, then I'll sit back and enjoy. Not that this is right, but it's a start...I know it isn't "too wrong".

Okay, like most red blooded wannabe millers, I would love to have a bandmill. Unfortunately, they are too expensive, and I've got no place to park it. Enter the chainsaw mill. Storage is no problem, especially with a couple of bike hooks in the garage ceiling:

P1010078.jpg

I've usually got my earmuffs hooked onto the handle, but I was using the tablesaw the other day and took them down.

Powerheads are easy to store, and since they often have to perform "double duty", felling and bucking, on top of milling, the expense is easier to justify.

P1010079.jpg

Pardon the mess, I'm still working out my shop/garage after the move.

I didn't get a picture of my bar storage, since they are just hung on some screws on one of my storage shelves. All of my bars are hung together. I've got both a 42" and a 36" bar set up for milling, with the auxiliary oil feed bolts installed.

But, I did get a picture of my red toolbox. I like it, since it is visible, and is big enough to take pretty much everything I need. Here is the outside:

P1010080-1.jpg

And here it is opened up for all to see:

P1010081.jpg

Since I'm too lazy to show you what's inside, I'll have to tell you. I've got extra rims, files, grease gun, paintbrush for cleaning, an 8" and a 10" crescent wrench, Channelock pliers, Stihl and Husky screnches, new sparkplugs for all three "user" saws, chain repair tool, chain repair links, Big screwdriver for chain adjustments, smaller flat and phillips for repairs, tiny screwdriver for carb adjustments, hatchet, gloves, wedges, chains (made some cool chain pouches using some upholstery fabric), small Husky filing guides, rope for stuffing cylinder should I need to mess with a clutch or lube bearing, a couple of spare bar nuts for each saw, T25 Torx driver (for Stihl), Phillips screwdriver bits, 15-20 3" #8 zip screws to secure my guide board, a fabric measuring tape (to measure diameter of tree and board widths), extra foam ear plugs, and some permanent magic markers (to mark first cutter when sharpening, mark logs, etc). There may be more, but that is the bulk of it.

Other things I take along:

Cant hook, come-along, 3 lengths of log chain, gallon jugs of bar oil, 2 gallons of pre-mix, auxiliary oiler (all three in one box), gallon thermos jug of ice water, cordless drill w/extra batteries (charged), and an axe. Have a first aid kit in the car, and my cell phone stays with me in case of emergency. I'll add more if I think of it.

Cool thing about the Alaskan mill, is that it can act as a carry basket. I have a small canvas bag that I put the tools I know I'll need, a gallon gas can, my gallon water jug, drill, and a gallon of bar oil sitting on the bar, held in by the mill itself. The guide I'll bring other things down to the log as needed. If life is good, I'll get to park next to the log and won't have to hike in the stuff, and hike out the stuff and the boards.

Mark

Okay, someone else care to add something?

I have a gallon of mis-mixed paint for end coating and a worn out paint brush, a set of saw horses to set the log on so less bending over while milling, and a notebook for keeping notes on the lumber. Also I when I made my starter rail I used nuts and bolts that are the same size as on my alaskan mill and my chain saw bar nuts, that way I only need my scrench for making adjustments on all three.

I do the end painting once I get the boards home. Never have time in the field, although I have done it there before.

Most of the logs I do would take one heck of a pair of sawhorses, and a creative way to get them up there. I keep them on the ground.

Mark

Great thread, Mark. I wish all this info was available BEFORE I started. :bang:

One thing I'll add is a small hand-held metal detector similar to the ones you see in airport check points. They aren't terribly expensive and will pay for themselves in a hurry if you do much milling of yard trees.

:cheers:

My saw horses are rated for 2400 pounds and with a front end loader that I barrow from my father this makes it an easy task. (Having them isn't necessary but it is a nice luxury, especially if your at it all day)

woodbug said:
My saw horses are rated for 2400 pounds and with a front end loader that I barrow from my father this makes it an easy task. (Having them isn't necessary but it is a nice luxury, especially if your at it all day)

Okay...front end loader...what a weenie....wish I had one.

Mark

aggiewoodbutchr said:
Great thread, Mark. I wish all this info was available BEFORE I started. :bang:

One thing I'll add is a small hand-held metal detector similar to the ones you see in airport check points. They aren't terribly expensive and will pay for themselves in a hurry if you do much milling of yard trees.

:cheers:

I'm sure someone has done one similarly before, but I figured it would be a first in the new section. Funny, I found the learning curve to be much steeper on the little things vs the big things. But the metal detector is a good one, and they are small too.

Mark

Lifting Logs

Oldsaw,

I'll have to find the site when I get home, but I saw an ingenious method to lift logs on to saw horses. It utilized three posts and a chain hoist. The guy folded it up to carry and spread it out in a teapee(sp) shape. He used it to lift logs on to saw horses, so he would not have to bend over so much. Anyone else seen this? I'll find the site and post a link later.

hautions11 said:
Oldsaw,

I'll have to find the site when I get home, but I saw an ingenious method to lift logs on to saw horses. It utilized three posts and a chain hoist. The guy folded it up to carry and spread it out in a teapee(sp) shape. He used it to lift logs on to saw horses, so he would not have to bend over so much. Anyone else seen this? I'll find the site and post a link later.

I've seen it, was kind of cool. My two "trucks" are a Windstar van and a VW station wagon. I don't have the carrying capacity for such things. Some day, a truck.

Mark

Is that tripod mechanism similar to what is used for lifting a person in and out of a man hole. Ben Meadows has them but they are $$$, for a CSM set up.

Hey I'll use a front in loader when ever I can, its a motto I like to call "Work smarter not harder."

Hey woodbug, what part of central Ky., are you from? Maybe you could give me some tips on local suppliers of stuff that may be helpful with my new milling experiences. Thanks

In this part of KY there aren't alot of "do it yourself" millers from what I can find. The saw shops are few and far between and poorly stocked,:confused: when I bought mine I had to visited 8 shops before I found what I was looking for. Kinda suprised due to alot of loggers and large mills. Then I had to order most of my CSM stuff from Bailey's.

I know the feeling. Its funny to see peoples faces when I tell them that I have been milling my own lumber with a chainsaw attachment. Likewise I havent been able to find anything that I need locally. It was worth a shot. Thanks anyway.

woodbug said:
In this part of KY there aren't alot of "do it yourself" millers from what I can find. The saw shops are few and far between and poorly stocked,:confused: when I bought mine I had to visited 8 shops before I found what I was looking for. Kinda suprised due to alot of loggers and large mills. Then I had to order most of my CSM stuff from Bailey's.

I gave up on my local dealers for everything but the little stuff. If I ever have to look at a another dumb stare in response to a simple question it will be too soon.:angry:

Most of the saw dealers here also sell $10,000 ZTR mowers and if your not looking at one, they don't spend much time with the guy only spending a few hundred on a saw.

Latest posts

Back