Off-saw bar tensioner for sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riptide

Reaction score
Hey all,

Awhile back I came across a device that allowed one to sharpen chains using a CS bar without the powerhead. IIRC, it had a threaded T-handle, and probably a sprocket of some sort, that kept tension on the chain while the bar was clamped in a vise. But for the life of me, I cannot find it, and apparently I didn't bookmark it.

Anybody seen such a device?

Thanks in advance!

I have an old bar and a weight to hang off the chain so I can sharpen spare chains that are not on the saw.
Simply clamp a bar in the vice and hang a 5-10 pound weight with some type of of hook on it off the chain on the bottom side of the bar. It holds it tight enough for me.
All my good ideas are stolen I seen this set up on youtube.

I have an old bar and a weight to hang off the chain so I can sharpen spare chains that are not on the saw.
Simply clamp a bar in the vice and hang a 5-10 pound weight with some type of of hook on it off the chain on the bottom side of the bar. It holds it tight enough for me.
All my good ideas are stolen I seen this set up on youtube.
Makes sense to me. I’ll try that if I can’t find the gadget I’m searching for. Keep innovating though; youtubers need the inspiration!

I use a bungee cord to tension a chain on a bar clamped in the vice, for off the saw sharpning. I have a few screws in my bench leg to hook the bungee to....its that simple and works fine enough for me

Built my own with my offspring will try and get some pix..........................................................................................

There are at least two chain vices out there. One is sold by Forester. If you have .050 I would not get it. The slot is too wide and the design does not clamp down hard enough to hold the chain in place.It might work on .063 chain but I did not try it.

The other is made by Mike Manley who used to post here and now can be found at the other place that we can not name. It is very well made and clamps the chain so that it does not move at all when filing. I have always used one hand to hold the bar and hold the chain down on the bar so it does not rock in the slot. With a functional vice I can file with two hands like you're supposed to.

Latest posts

Back