off topic lawn mower issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i know this is off topic but everyone here has great info.

i got a old ariens riding lawn mower that has a dead 8hp briggs on it. i swapped a good running 11hp briggs on it today. my problem is when i wire up the battery the wire going to the coil gets really hot. i disconnected the battery to be safe. it does crank over fine. i didnt start it yet as i have to fab up some brackets to fit the fuel tank on the new motor.

any ideas? id love to get her running then ill mount up the deck and try her out! that was a great little mower it worked awesome on the leaves i would love to get her going again. thanks, Mike

The wiring is wrong! Coils on those act as magneto's, ground the coil to kill it, no power needed!
Some older ones need power to the points, the points and condensor act as a switch to fire the coil, but at a whole new level! If it's a points machine, check the points, check the condensor but most likely the coil is toast, IF it is wired right and everything is as it should be!

Husky455Rancher, i never see you around on this website, but i want to say a few things.

You started the five word thread. That means that you are to this website what Chuck Berry is to rock&roll. I want to thank you sir.

-Paincow

haha i took some time off due to some personal crazyness but i mainly used to come here and the chainsaw section. i havent even looked at the 5 word thread in forever. im glad people enjoy it! the firewood section was always my favorite lotsa good people here.

figured this one out the hard way once. if you wired it wrong long enough for the wire to get hot, the mag. is probably dead. check the spark before you even bother trying to start the motor.

Back