Off topic : Tecumseh carburetor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooperforeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a generator for cheap with a Tecumseh 10HP,it hasn't been run in about 10 years and the carburetor is trashed(white rust everywhere and the body is pitted really bad).Anyway,I found brand new aftermarket carb. made by Oregon for 1/2 the price of a new OEM Tecumseh part.Has anyone had experience with Oregon carburetors? Are they any good ?

They couldn't possibly be any worse than the Tecumseh carbs. In truth the carbs on most traditional 4-stroke OPE are crap, but the Tecumseh one is basically the same thing they've been making forever and I've worked on a lot of them, and it just seems to be junk.

Is it an HM100 engine? Recoil start? On a Generac by any chance? I only ask because I have one - if so, good luck. It's the cheapest, loudest POS engine, drinks oil almost faster than fuel at a constant 3600rpm. It will not start without ether below 40deg. Don't even think about getting near it without ear protection. OTOH, I ran it hard for over a week last fall and it (mostly) worked. It's been about 2 months since I used it, so I expect I'll have to overhaul the carb if I want to fire it up again. Seriously.

I just replaced the carb on a Tecumseh H35 with one of the Oregon carbs. Once tuned, it runs like a champ.

I just replaced the carb on a Tecumseh H35 with one of the Oregon carbs. Once tuned, it runs like a champ.

Yeah, ANY replacement for a Tecumseh carb is bound to be an improvement. I have an HM100 10 hp on the backyard chipper in my avatar. It runs fine after rebuilding the engine with a thrown rod. The carb was the worst part of getting it running.

Yep, it's the HM100 engine on a Coleman generator.I think I'll give the China (Oregon) carb a try and see what happens.

They couldn't possibly be any worse than the Tecumseh carbs. In truth the carbs on most traditional 4-stroke OPE are crap, but the Tecumseh one is basically the same thing they've been making forever and I've worked on a lot of them, and it just seems to be junk.

Is it an HM100 engine? Recoil start? On a Generac by any chance? I only ask because I have one - if so, good luck. It's the cheapest, loudest POS engine, drinks oil almost faster than fuel at a constant 3600rpm. It will not start without ether below 40deg. Don't even think about getting near it without ear protection. OTOH, I ran it hard for over a week last fall and it (mostly) worked. It's been about 2 months since I used it, so I expect I'll have to overhaul the carb if I want to fire it up again. Seriously.

LMAO!! Yes they are a rude machine all around. If you put a big speaker near it, you could probably power a few lights off the speaker!!!!

A tip on that engine - on mine the crankcase vent line runs from the small cover on the side of the bock to a nipple on the back of the air cleaner. That's fine and typical so oil fumes are burned up. Except the cover is well above the air cleaner so it's a direct downhill tube into the air cleaner. So if you over fill it even a little (easy to do if you do not wait for all the oil to settle at re-fills), and it spits out any oil into that line, then that will be pulled into the air filter. Once the filter element gets wet, of course it pulls more vacuum on that line, which in turn pulls more oil, until the whole air cleaner is dripping with oil and the thing is running so rich it stalls out. Really cool.

I planned on re-designing that, but I have a much better generator now if I can find time to fix the governor on the B&S OHV engine on it. Although I have to say, my old Tecumseh has run a lot more hours and I have never taken the engine apart. Maybe the nasty old thing ain't so bad after all.

Latest posts

Back