Oh how I hate starlings! This means WAR!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's fun to take those .22 shotshells out into the barn at night with a bright flashlight, "freezes" them on the nest. Easy killing, get's rid of the sparrow's as well.

Shoot the starlings all you want, but I hate to see you get rid of the sparrows. Compared to the starling, the sparrow is a jewel. The male sparrow is about the only common bird that isn't intimidated by the starling.

Wow, another thing we all have in common, I blast em till winter with 22's to 12 ga. Have some friends over in the a.m. and p.m. and have some fun, they told me I should charge for the pleasure of it all. About July my place has become a no fly zone and only the sneaky stay. I have a starling distress on my foxpro and man does it work, dove shooting has nothin on the starling shoots. Oh and yes I hate them, grackles are second.

C.B.

I tried that stuff on rats at about 5 yards. I'm not that bad a shot and the thing turned and went back down the hole. I went back to .22 longs.

Try 45 Colt or 44 mag shot shells. Totally different result. I finished a bird that I winged with the 12ga and at 5 yds, the result was startling. 22 shells are #12 shot... 44 and 45 have #6 shot and a lot more of it.

Ian

Last edited:
Wow, another thing we all have in common, I blast em till winter with 22's to 12 ga. Have some friends over in the a.m. and p.m. and have some fun, they told me I should charge for the pleasure of it all. About July my place has become a no fly zone and only the sneaky stay. I have a starling distress on my foxpro and man does it work, dove shooting has nothin on the starling shoots. Oh and yes I hate them, grackles are second.

C.B.

LOL!!!

I never thought about a starling distress call.

I put out an owl one year to deter the grackles and starlings, and ended up stacking crows up in a holding pattern like planes at O'Hare.
THAT was fun.

Starling distress eh....

Gonna have to give that a run.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Try 45 Colt or 44 mag shot shells. Totally different result. I finished a bird that I winged with the 12ga and at 5 yds, the result was startling. 22 shells are #12 shot... 44 and 45 have #6 shot and a lot more of it.

Ian

You're right Ian.
I've been thinking a .410 would be a good addition to the group as a small pest / rodent dispatcher

You can also make your own shotshells, I do 44 mag and 45lc, 444 marlin in my 410 contender is nice and reloadable since I don't have a 410 reloader. We shot a lot of carpenter bees out of my old barn with them, put what shot you want to fit the need at the time. I use the take out container (styrofoam) and cut disks to seal the shot in. Good cheap fun. If someone wants to have a starling roundup I would be there with bells on ha ha ha.

C.B.

You're right Ian.
I've been thinking a .410 would be a good addition to the group as a small pest / rodent dispatcher

Last a I checked .410's were more expensive per box than 20 ga. . . Fun little guns though.

I like the idea of a .444 shotgun load too. :)

DSC00260.jpg

.22 Theoben Fenman Ultra carbine, Ive shot 10s of thousands of Starlings with this thing.
I aint joking I used to go round a few farmers buildings at night with a 2 x D cell Maglight mounted on the scope Rats and Feral Pigeons were also fair game.

Ive wounded a Starling on a couple of occasions and had hundreds of them attack me!!!!!!! First time it happend i think i needed clean underwear lol

DSC00260.jpg

.22 Theoben Fenman Ultra carbine, Ive shot 10s of thousands of Starlings with this thing.
I aint joking I used to go round a few farmers buildings at night with a 2 x D cell Maglight mounted on the scope Rats and Feral Pigeons were also fair game.

Ive wounded a Starling on a couple of occasions and had hundreds of them attack me!!!!!!! First time it happend i think i needed clean underwear lol

Hey Tommy!! LOL

the%20birds%20running%20from%2022.jpg

They just fall down my pipe and die inside the fireplace. Pulled 7 carcasses out of the stove the past 3 years.

LOL Nate They attack the light so its best to get it off quick, In fact that time i dropped the rifle I was on an inside silage pit with a building on each side shooting almost down at them on the rafters.

After a couple of nights terror they bugger off somewhere else for a while!

I caught a nasty type of Salmonella from cattle and tests showed the cows caught it from starling droppings on their food.

I lost 2 stones in 2 weeks and its a good job the bath was beside the toilet as it was handy for throwing up in while crapping the lining of my intestines out.

So you see i have a grudge:)

scottclayshooter... nice Theoben!
looks like a bear to cock with that short barrel.

have had several ... here's a pic of my old Beeman Crow Mag .25 with Leopold 3.5x10 EFR (Theoben Eliminator) too much gun for a starling

crowmag6.JPG

crowmag4.JPG

Last edited:
You would need a FAC Firearms certificateau aetto have that in the UK were limited to 12 lbs/ft off ticket.

Shot over 400 young crows in one night with it and couldnt cock it any more!!! Cocks really smooth once you crack the barrel off the stop.
The trigger on mine aint great compared to the newer ones mine is from 1993 i think.

The gas escaped from the ram after i had owned it for 8 years they fixed it FOC i just had to pay the postage both ways!

I have a 6 yard sitting target with 6 shots in one hole for 0.000"
The barrel is only 7 1/2" the silencer is a cocking aid!

It prefers 5.5mm pellets over 5.6mm Eley wasps

LOL Nate They attack the light so its best to get it off quick, In fact that time i dropped the rifle I was on an inside silage pit with a building on each side shooting almost down at them on the rafters.

After a couple of nights terror they bugger off somewhere else for a while!

I caught a nasty type of Salmonella from cattle and tests showed the cows caught it from starling droppings on their food.

I lost 2 stones in 2 weeks and its a good job the bath was beside the toilet as it was handy for throwing up in while crapping the lining of my intestines out.

So you see i have a grudge:)

That sounds horrible! I'd have a grudge too. . . Nasty birds!

I have a grudge as well only mine was histoplasmosis from the bird poop while tilling turkey food plots. was misdiagnosed 2x as pneumonia and dang near took me out as lungs filled with the fungus and 02 levels dropped dangerously low. yep, I hate em and purple heads to. (grackles)

I'm shooting 5.5 Beeman FTS and JSB Exact pellets in mine, I like the performance of the Crow Magnums, but the accuracy isn't there. I shot a pigeon at about 10 yards with them and I could fit my finger in the exit wound :jawdrop:.

Ian

Some real nice rifles on this thread. It's good to now there is a world wide army of starling slayers!!!:rock:

Damn thing handles better than any shotgun Grr

If there was arat at 20 yards I just look at the rat lift the rifle and the rat is in the center of the scope! It fits me better than the shotgun!

Back