Oh no! Blue coil of death!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes no doubt, too bad the market has driven them up so far. The only replacement I bought was 54 bucks a few years ago.

Yes, they are still up there, last ones I bought were from Standard Magneto Sales, they bought out Prestolite back in the early 90`s but still manufacture these coils in the US, at least they say they do.

Just went to the link. $200 for a used working coil! Insane. I would just put the saw on the shelf until a cheap coil or a workaround could be found. Starts making the old points system look pretty good. If I was desperate enough, I could always change over to points, I have the crank for it.
That reminds me Tom, how goes the battle with your EZ? Let me know if you need parts, I might have something.

It goes... 1 step forward, 2 steps back. After the fuel lines, filter bla bla I put in a carb kit. Stills starts, runs & then dies. I'm thinking I missed something in the carb.
:surprised3: An idea:
You have an EZ that has the same blue coil of death my SM does.
You also are MUCH better at tuning a carb than myself.
Would you like to swap my coil in your EZ to see how it or if it goes?
In trade, skoole me a bit on my SM in carb tuning. :chainsaw:

When/if the baking fails to work, I managed to find a viable work around for those Prestolite coils.

It will require some re-drilling of mounting holes and/or the use of some hold downs. The husky coils for the 61/272...run off the same polarity (flywheels) as many of the Wico and Prestolite used on both Homelite and Pioneer (P-series). I have a few XL-76/130's running the Husky coils. They also work on on Farmsaws and Farm-Lite. Although, I haven't needed to yet, they will work on the XL-1/SM/S-EZ. The timing end up being spot for the most part. Other members have had success with this approach as well, even using the coils from a 365 on the larger P-series.

I had some posts a couple (few) years ago on this method and the xl-76's. There were a couple from Fossil as well when he tried the same coil.

I'll track them down and/or post some pics when I find them.

Latest posts

Back