Inherited Homelite XL2 Automatic-- No Spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clattin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently "inherited" an old HomeLite XL2 Automatic that had been sitting in its red plastic case but outdoors for many years. I used to have a Super 2 that I LOVED for its size and capability so I'd like to get this saw up and running.

I tore it all apart and gave everything a thorough cleaning, new air filter and new plug. The carb appeared to be in pretty good shape although I didn't take it all apart, just took it off and cleaned it with carb cleaner. Saw won't start so I went to check if its getting spark....nope. I took the coil off and cleaned it real good and check wires and connections. I went to check the kill switch (just a simple toggle) and put one ohmeter lead on the wire coming from the switch and the other to the connection on the coil where the switch connects. With the switch in the OFF position, I'm getting 1.3 ohms and when I switch it to ON it goes out of range. Does this sound right? For some reason, it seems like it should be the other way around to me.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

As a side note, I also got a Craftsman (same as the Poulan 2300CVA) saw that was in the same condition and after a tear apart and cleaning its running really good. But I really want this little Homie to run!

If you disconnect the switch all together and try starting your saw it should run if it's just a bad switch, you'll need to choke it out to shut it off. That should give you an answer easily.

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]

With the switch in the OFF position, I'm getting 1.3 ohms and when I switch it to ON it goes out of range. Does this sound right? For some reason, it seems like it should be the other way around to me.
That is correct. Is your saw a have a plastic case or a metal case? Try disconnecting wire from coil to switch and check for spark. Since it’s been sitting outside most likely it will need the points dressed if it has a points ignition.

Latest posts

Back