Oh No! NOT another "what rope to buy" thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have always been fond of Stable Braid from Samson. It is a tough, strong rope, and has always served me well.

In another thread, Moray posted the statistics on Yalex, Yale Cordage's rope. It looks to me like the greater elongation or "stretch" at any given load might make this a better bull rope, as it will stretch further and absorb more load before it breaks. Hopefully, we all know that a dynamic (stretchy) rope will catch a heavier load than a non-dynamic rope.

Stable Braid elongation at 30% load=2.7%
Yalex elongation at 30% load=5% (as I read the chart)

Stable Braid elongation at 100% load=not published
Yalex elongation at 100% load=greater than 14%!

Added to the evidence above: Yalex is stronger than Stable Braid, for any given diameter, although it is also about 10% heavier.

While the extra stretch might be a problem in some situations, all other factors being the same, I think I would rather have my bull rope stretch a little more before it went PING!

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
LOL, I was just wondering if it was the same stuff. First I have heard it called Yalex.

I might go to this stuff for my next bull line. I'll more than likely need to replace mine this year. We'll see how well it works out.

Apparently this is a fictitious rope: I can't find anywhere to buy it, even if I wanted to.

Yale lists only 4 distributors for the product on their website. None of those distributors seem to list that product on line. So unless we call Yale and they tell us where to get the stuff, we are up a creek without our Yalex.

I suppose that Wesspur, Baileys, or Sherrill might call them up and make a special order, but it doesn't seem like you would get good pricing that way.

I think I'll send a copy of this thread to each of them.

Hey, thanks for the tip on looking up this rope!

This isn't a rope we currently stock at WesSpur, though of course we can get a hold of it for you if you really want!

We do stock the Yale Polydyne precisely because it is partially polyester and has more elastic elongation than other ropes like Samson Stable Braid.

I'll ask Sean to look this up in our price list and see what quantities we would have to order it in, and what price it goes for.

I do see that Yale describes it as an incredibly easy to splice 12-strand, which means it is probably a fairly loose braid, much like the Samson Tenex. We've found that while this type of 12-strand can be great for rigging slings, it's not ideal for an actual bull rope as the loose construction makes it easy to snag and pluck strands.

Again, I'm not sure this is the case, but it looks like it might be similar to Tenex at first blush, so my guess is that's the primary reason it's not seen in arborist catalogs as a rigging line.

I'll do some double checking and see if someone with more experience than I have knows more, and I'll get some prices and availability just for completeness. :D (As soon as I can - it's a pretty busy Monday!)

Take care, :)

well, good to know I am trying to compare apples to oranges. :D

Still thinking about giving the polydyne a try for my next bull line. I wish someone who has actually used it could chime in. I hate being the Ginnie pig...

I guess if a fellow didn't like the loose weave of the Yalex, the polydyne and the double esterlon from Yale have similar elongation properties with a double braid construction.

I wonder if the cover is as tough as stable braid?

Last edited:
I guess if a fellow didn't like the loose weave of the Yalex, the polydyne and the double esterlon from Yale have similar elongation properties with a double braid construction.

I wonder if the cover is as tough as stable braid?

From what I understand, the cover is the same as stable braid. Just a different core.

Hey Guy's

Mike from Bailey's

Wish I could say I had used Yalex but can't, got some under my desk but that don't help you.

Nathan is correct about snaggen.
It does makes a great winch line or slings. But not a good long lasting bull
rope.

The big diff, between a Portland braid and Double Esterlon,
basically the same stuff just the double is made with the best polyester
that money can buy (read "BMW" bring money withyou).

Portland braid is a little lighter which also explains some of the strength diff
between Samson stable and Yale portland.

Polydyne, with it's nylon core will double working energy absorption capacity of poly double braids. This will be a completely different animal from what you are used to.

With all Yale ropes they under-quote the breaking strength, they don't
like PING when they hear talk about there rope.

Since I do work for Bailey's this is where I point out that "BlackMax" bull rope
is Portland Braid.

Hopes this helps

The cover and the core of Stable Braid are made of the same material. The cover does have an additional treatment of some sort, but the Stable Braid cover would not match the elongation of the Yalex, Double Esterlon, or the Polydyne

it's called Duron fiber Technology. sounds good but the short story is the
Samson book has Stable Braid Coated listed as --made to have low-stretch -high strength to weight, torque free ect . ect. ect.

it's why we carry three rope manufactures, when you find something you
want hopefully we have it.

I'm not trying to sell you, I just don't want you with the wrong rope,
and I think that Yalex in this application.

If you want my call, stay with what you know, is safer

If you make a change make it a little one, try the portland braid

Back