Oh Noooo - My New Saw Got Smashed!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boundaryh20

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So...I find a basically brand new MS441 Arctic on Craig's List...switch bars with my MS361 (there was only an 18" on the 441)...and go to work on a huge elm that a friend needed cut down. Cutting up the trunk of the tree, I get the saw pinched. Then finish cutting it up with my other saw and end up rolling part of the trunk onto the 441!

Attached pictures shows it all...

Big question...could there be other damage than the smashed muffler? Should I replace the muffler?

I haven't run the saw yet? Any risk on running it?

BTW...The MS361 is a really good saw...but the MS441 is a really...really good saw!!

Thanks,
Bryan

Looks like you lucked out with minor damage.

But for future reference.Always unbolt your powerhead from the bar when it gets stuck.Before you start cutting it out.

A bent bar is a lot cheaper then a complete saw getting smashed.

DONT RUN IT!!!! man I think it is junk!!! pm me for my address and I will buy it from you I could use a few nuts and bolts off of it.:hmm3grin2orange:

Next time...

Think a little will ya? When you see the kerf closing up, remove the saw while you can. Then when you step back and see the forces involved you plunge leaving a few inches holding it open at the top. You can cut all the way to the bottom followed by upper cutting the holding wood. I do this all the time. The other method is to pound a wedge into the top.

-Pat

When bucking use wedges or

When bucking use wedges or do what I do when lazy.
When the kerf starts to close either use wedges or just run the saw back and forth paying particular attention to the top of the bar sawing a chanel around it. Once the kerf comes together completly saw all you want to the bottem because it won't close any more. Pull the saw out and cut the rest of the cuts. Then roll the trunk over and complete the cuts.

Mac 10 10 Automatic, drama queen, my favorite
Poulan 3400CV with 4.0 ci jug and piston 20 inch bar
Echo 3450 for the light stuff

That saw ain't hurt.
This saw's only semi-smashed.

357xpVSGooseneckTrailer001.jpg

It got back on it's feet after a 2 week rest, and won the 60cc competition in our local show.

Andy

Time to mod the muffler and put her back to work.
Very nice saw you got there!
Be carefull out there!

Modding the muffler on a strat saw is a waste of time and energy. No gains to be had from it.

Congrats on lucking out. Now that saw has character and a story. I just as soon mine stay uninteresting. :)

Ian

My 441 muffler is atleast that dented from getting dropped once.:givebeer:

Modding the muffler on a strat saw is a waste of time and energy. No gains to be had from it.

Ian

I beg to differ. It didn't gain as much as my 660 did, but it was an appreciable drop in cut times.

Interesting. You're the first I've seen report any gains at all. Everything I've read seemed to indicate that the changes in porting and carburetion on strat saws made muffler modding a thing of the past.

learn something new every day whether I like it or not.. LOL
Ian

Interesting. You're the first I've seen report any gains at all. Everything I've read seemed to indicate that the changes in porting and carburetion on strat saws made muffler modding a thing of the past.

learn something new every day whether I like it or not.. LOL
Ian

The strangest part is that it hardly got any louder. And that's with the stock port opened to nearly double size and an additional port added.

Looks like you lucked out with minor damage.

But for future reference.Always unbolt your powerhead from the bar when it gets stuck.Before you start cutting it out.

A bent bar is a lot cheaper then a complete saw getting smashed.

WHY DON"T PEOPLE THINK ABOUT THAT FIRST ????? LOL

Back