Oil Ajustment On 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Love this site , have learned a lot in the short time I have been here , I liked the thread about felling and bucking wedges , I have never had a wedge before , now I have 2 , anyway , I picked up a stihl 361 a few weeks ago ,and I can't fined the oil adjustment for this saw , I have a manual on the way , could someone help me out , I think the bar and chain are to dry . Thanks Ted.
000_0603.jpg

On the bottom of the saw on the chain side there is a hole. Stick a screw driver in it. The screw only turns for part of a full rotation - one way is max and the other min. The direction is engraved on the case bottom. Just turn it to max.

Just remember that the Stihl Oilomatic system is designed to put the oil where it counts, and not sling a lot of it off, so the bar and chain will look dryer on the outside than other designs.

Um, I was always under the impression that bar oil served a twofold purpose, to put oil on the bar/chain to lubricate the metal to metal surfaces, and to put oil on the chain to lubricate the chain's cut in the wood.

SawTroll said:
Just remember that the Stihl Oilomatic system is designed to put the oil where it counts, and not sling a lot of it off, so the bar and chain will look dryer on the outside than other designs.

Hmmm. I understand Stihl's oilmatic system. The question I have then wheres does all the oil go. If its not slingging it off.

No SAP, it really has nothing to with lubricating the cutting wood, the cutters are really just tearing the wood chips. As the wood is so much softershouldn't be that much heat from that, just friction heat. Just to lube the metal to metal surfaces mainly. If you crank it up, as I like to, it does seem to help with the cooling as the excess oil will pull some of the heat with it as it is thrown from the chain. I figure bar oil is cheap, chains and bars are expensive (OK, bar oil is kinda cheap, for the moment at aleast), cheap insurance.

Bar oil also keeps tree sap from building up on the chain and also bar. The same way you would use lube on a band saw blade.

Latest posts

Back