Oil for the bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leroy in Kansas

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm ready to put an oil reservoir on the slide saw. I've looked at several of the pic's that are posted here but I don't seem to be able to tell how they work. Can any/all of you post pic's of the oiler on you saw's. It'll help tremendously. Thanks Leroy

There were several threads in the past year or so showing exactly how they get the oil to the bar, do a search on oiler in this section and you will bump into them. If I recall Bob had some nice pics of his, and some drawings of how the bar had to be drilled etc.

There are two basic designs and neither are rocket science.

Both uses a reservoir of oil, a tap, or couple of taps (one to act as a stopcock, the other as a flow control) and a tube running down to the bar/chain.

The two designs are either
1) place the end of the tube to deliver the oil direct onto the chain
or
2) delivery of through the bar groove. Here: Dai Sensei has a blow by blow description of how to make one of these - go to post number 18 for specifics
More info here.

Thanks a heap, I've read the post's over a couple times and think I'm ready to tackle this part of the project. If I need any help I won't be bashful about asking. Thanks again Leroy

Well, this is what I came up with- Pic's

This is how everything came together. Do any of you see anything that will not work? This is strictly trial and error for me. I don't even know if the saw is going to work? all coments appreciated. Leroy

Looks great Leroy!

Only thing you might want to add is some support for the copper tube after the taps or else the vibes will eventually snap the pipe or tap. I have to do this myself as I have already snapped 2 brass pipe fittings!

What about some pics of the rest of the mill - it looks very interesting from what I can see!

Cheers

Looks great Leroy!

Only thing you might want to add is some support for the copper tube after the taps or else the vibes will eventually snap the pipe or tap. I have to do this myself as I have already snapped 2 brass pipe fittings!

What about some pics of the rest of the mill - it looks very interesting from what I can see!
Cheers

:agree2:

Hydraulic motor?

Leroy, it looks like a nice shop you are building the mill in, I can see what looks like a lathe, oxy/act set and mill in the background. Is that your shop?
Cheers
Thanks BobL
I had to go back to the pic's to see what was there. It's an Enco lathe and vertical mill. The gages are for the wire feed Miller 200. I've saved my pennys and bought some equipment to do what ever I decide needs done. I enjoy working with metal and wood.

Trigger Time,
The hydraulic motor is another experiment. Just to see how it works. May not, don't know at this time. I've got the power unit in the shop now getting the carb rebuilt. (one of those things I'm better off letting someone with knowledge of carbs. do). I'll try to put some video up so you all can see how things go with this thing. Thanks Leroy

Thanks BobL
I had to go back to the pic's to see what was there. It's an Enco lathe and vertical mill. The gages are for the wire feed Miller 200. I've saved my pennys and bought some equipment to do what ever I decide needs done.
Nice one :clap:

I enjoy working with metal and wood.
So do I!

Thanks BobL
I had to go back to the pic's to see what was there. It's an Enco lathe and vertical mill. The gages are for the wire feed Miller 200. I've saved my pennys and bought some equipment to do what ever I decide needs done. I enjoy working with metal and wood.

Trigger Time,
The hydraulic motor is another experiment. Just to see how it works. May not, don't know at this time. I've got the power unit in the shop now getting the carb rebuilt. (one of those things I'm better off letting someone with knowledge of carbs. do). I'll try to put some video up so you all can see how things go with this thing. Thanks Leroy

Can't wait for the video :clap:

If I can find it, I was given a brand new motor about that size...(judging by pic)

Latest posts

Back