oil guy is pissed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious about the solar power for hot water heater can you give some more info sparked my interest

My buddy does HVAC for a living he is going to set it up this spring with evacuated tube collectors on 4x4 post he doesn't like putting them on the roof unless its a new roof also. One side of my house faces south and gets sun all day winter and summer. Going to use RV anti freeze as the heating liquid with a small zone pump to a SS coil inside a new 80 gallon tank . There will be electric backup for it very simple installation. My oil fired one is on its last legs its 18 or 19 years old .

A solar hot water preheater is in the works for me too. I'd like a wood preheater too.

I had the same setup with a separate 50ga oil fired hot water heater, and that was the only oil-fired thing that ran for a year and a half. We had a 500ga tank, and maybe 50 years ago someone built a stone crypt around it. Then they put rocks and gravel over it and poured a 9' X 5' lid, maybe 6-8" thick. Poured it right around the fill and vent fittings and the outlet tubes. No whistle, no way to add one or inspect the tank. Fast forward to today and the stone wall is crumbing, and I knew eventually the wall would fail and that lid would rip it all apart. So I got a diamond wheel for my circular saw and kerfed the concrete lid into 2' X 2" sections and broke them up with a concrete breakup bar by hand. Did I mention it's on a steep bank with no way to get the front end loader there?

it would have cost way too much to replace the tank and fill it, so I spent $400 on an electric hot water heater. The tank is long empty now and I'll saw it up in the spring (never got to it last summer!).

Back