Oil pump & Stihl assembly question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason280

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know this has taken forever, but I am finally getting time to reassemble my 066 Magnum. I had to replace the clutch side seal, and in the process, have somewhat forgotten the correct assembly of the clutch side components. I've looked up a few schematics online, but they leave a lot to be desired.

Looking at the pic below, what it is the correct order of assembly? I know the oil pump goes in first, with the oil gear drive (#2) going in next. Then, I get lost...of course, until the clutch, clutch drum, and sprocket.

Also, since I have the oil pump out, any way to clean or troubleshoot it to make sure it is 100%/

put oil pump in first (1) then drive gear (2), fill oil tank and manually spin drive gear fastto right to see if oil comes out by bar. then put in spacer (3) as shown with hump facing out, then clutch tightening to the right, then drum (8) with lightly greased bearing (5) inside and spin until groove in drum engages the drive gear tang. then drive sprocket (9), then washer (4) with higher ridge on the outside, then clip (6), then the cover, then metal bar guideplate that covers oiler outlet hole, then bar studs (if removed). I usually adjust oiler screw to full to start and back of if necessary. Have fun.

I can tell you if you forget the spacer washer , it gets ugly really fast [emoji25]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got it all together, but still haven't hada chance to crank the saw...I did pull the starter cord a few times, and it feels a little more stout...

Cool, to make sure you can manually spin the clutch drum without it rubbing against the oil pump, as long as you don't hear metal grinding you should be good, only other problem I've had is a worn e-clip holding the sprocket on, and it fell off and then the clutch drum went loose and messed up the clutch bearing- all the metal needle bearings fell out of its plastic cage and lost in the grass.

Back