ok how many of you have had a close call

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly saw related but swinging an axe at a big lump of oak knot as hard as I could, axe gets caught in clothesline over my head. Axe continues down in a VERY sharp curve and smacks me square between the two eyes, thought I had been shot. I hit the ground so hard I ended up with two bruised knees. 26 stitches and a nice scar for life. Always check overhead for obstacles not only around yourself.

Hello,
I'm only a fire wood cutter and only had one real eye opener thus far. I generally make it a habit to have the saw on the chain brake if I'm not cutting that instant. I had the tree on the the ground and was working my way around limming it. I had just cut and set the brake and started to re position. I tripped on something and the next thing I knew the I was on the ground with the bar and chain laying on top of my left arm. I went down so fast I have no idea what happened but I know I'm sure glad the chain brake was on. It will get your attention really fast having the bar of a running saw sitting on top of your arm. No cuts or marks or any thing but it scared the snot out of me for a second or two. Stay safe guys.

Bullittman

been hurt a few times. one that stands out was a cut through the boot and into the foot trimming tree's by tavern on the green in Central Park 25 years ago. not too bad. nothing some gauze and tape couldn't fix..

this topic isn't helping our insurance rates any ~!!!

Ive ruint 3 pair of jeans by getting in hurry. i like to haul:censored: in piles and nick jeans. Scares the the :censored: outa me every time. I have since learnt my lesson and slow down now.

PS. the first pair that i ruined i could feel the rivets on the chain agianst my knee. The last time i hade the same feeling but it was the side of the cutters then.:jawdrop:

Slipped and cut the side out of my boot. Sat there for a long time and looked at it ,too scared to take the boot off. Turned out I tore my sock up too,but never touched my foot. They say God looks after simple people.:clap:

Ive ruint 3 pair of jeans by getting in hurry. i like to haul:censored: in piles and nick jeans. Scares the the :censored: outa me every time. I have since learnt my lesson and slow down now.

PS. the first pair that i ruined i could feel the rivets on the chain agianst my knee. The last time i hade the same feeling but it was the side of the cutters then.:jawdrop:

chaps?

Many years back, being tired after a hard day trimming a friend's property from being hit by a tornado, was flush cutting a stump down on my knees. The XL kicked back and saw hit the inside of my right knee. Emergency room stitched it up. Another 1/4 " would have gotten into bone.
The Good Lord took care of me that day.

axes

ive accidently stuck my axe into my leg, cut through my steel toed boots, and cut my pants on my left thigh

When I was a newbie with an axe many decades ago, my aim was off, the axe glanced off the wood and hit my ankle. I had high top boots on and was fine until I felt the boot getting squishy inside. Uh-oh. I pulled the boot and sock off and got a bit of a shock. I got a view of what the insides of my ankle looked like. It was strange to me that the cut didn't hurt much, but just looking at it made me feel suddenly very weak. I had a tough time walking back to the house. There was no permanent damage done, it just needed around 20 stitches. I was a lot more careful with my aim after that.

I barely felt the saw hit me, but knew something was bad when I looked down and saw blood spurting out.
Lesson for me was not cut when you're tired, and, always have someone with you when you're cutting.

Had a good size oak barber chair. I felt the wind off it hit my face.

That was a long time ago and the memory still comes back sometime when I am cutting.

Ripped open my left pants leg on two different occasions.

Decided I needed chaps.

15 stiches in my left leg from my 034, 12 in my knee from and old poulan, drove the slivers from a tree under my kneecap, opened up the back of my hand from my climbing saw, plenty of broken bones,broke every finger at least once lost my fingernails at least twice on every finger, stiches in the head, broken foot. And saved the fired my moron groundsman for almost going thru my chipper

15 stiches in my left leg from my 034, 12 in my knee from and old poulan, drove the slivers from a tree under my kneecap, opened up the back of my hand from my climbing saw, plenty of broken bones,broke every finger at least once lost my fingernails at least twice on every finger, stiches in the head, broken foot. And saved the fired my moron groundsman for almost going thru my chipper

I think i'd be trying to get me an office job,or a job putting out oil well fires ,or an ice road trucker or something a little safer. Congrats on still being with us.:cheers:

It was my own stupidity

I fell 20ft. off a ladder while cutting a branch. Don't remember climbing the ladder, don't remember falling. Woke up in the helicopter for a second, then at the hospital while a halo-cast was being put on. I broke 2 vertebrae in my neck and my collarbone. My harness and flip-rope were at the farm, I still would have been in trouble hanging out in the tree but I wouldn't have had to go for a helicopter ride.

Naaaaaaaaaaa I could never work in an office, in a few weeks I have to go for a hernia operation I told my wife that i was gonna split wood afterwards:crazy1:

Not exactly saw related but swinging an axe at a big lump of oak knot as hard as I could, axe gets caught in clothesline over my head. Axe continues down in a VERY sharp curve and smacks me square between the two eyes, thought I had been shot. I hit the ground so hard I ended up with two bruised knees. 26 stitches and a nice scar for life. Always check overhead for obstacles not only around yourself.

Had a local deputy do the same kind of thing a few years back. He was using a mall to break up some concrete. Caught the clothesline and the maul came back up and hit him right above the eye socket. Needed a few stitches and some pain killers for a while.:cheers:

had a dead shagbark get wind thrown right at the beggining of the 08 windstrom and come over and land 3 ft away from me. Ive been limbing and hit osme little crap thats impossible to see and have the saw kick and knick me. I've been lucky to ot be cut severely... yet.

I at one time had a pretty nice axe collection I had displayed in my shop. It was in the summer and very hot. I had most of my axes hanging head up between two nails. It was hot so I decided to plug in a fan to get some air moving. The plug in that I was going to use was high up on my wall behind a cabinet. While reaching up to plug in the cord my shoulder bumped a double bit axe handle hanging down and knocked it off the two nails. I keep all my axes very sharp. When the axe fell it hit the cabinet and kicked up. It felt like someone slapped me in the throat. I only felt a sting. I didn't think much about it until I looked down and seen the front of my shirt soaking with blood. I have a mirror in my shop over the sink. when I looked I had a 3 to 4 inch long slit in my throat that was gaped open about 3/4". Blood was pouring out. I was at home alone. My wife was on her way home from work. I grabbed a roll of paper towels and smashed it into the wound. I called her cell phone and told her to get home that I had cut my throat. She started laughing, I said to get home fast I needed to get to the hospital. I soaked a full roll of towels on the way, as the nearest hospital is 30 miles away. When I got to the hospital the lady checking in that day seen me and rushed me in quick. The doctor ask me what had happened and I told him. He act like he didn't believe me. He said a bunch of times that it looked to him like someone had cut my throat on purpose and he kept looking at my wife. He even mentioned contacting law enforcement. I guess I convinced him of what really happened. He started sewing me up and after 27 stitches, he said that day was my lucky day because if the wound was over about a 1/4" it would have got into my cartaroid artery and from where I live (way out in the sticks) I would have bled to death very quick and never had a chance. I thought after wards if that would have happened my wife would have came home from work found me with my throat cut and thought I had been murdered. The cops would probably still be looking for my killer. LOL. It was a very freak happening, but it goes to show that stuff does happen. I have since then gotten rid of most of my axes, but the ones I have kept are now displayed in a rack on the floor. I did keep the one that about did me in. The Doc did a great job of fixing me up. I hardly have a scare.

Last edited:
I was cutting up a downed oak after Hurricane Gustaf. Had been limbing using a Husky 357 with a 20 inch bar. Switched to a 441 Stihl with 24 inch bar. Was cutting up the trunk, pulled out the saw and forgot about the 4 extra inches. Cut a 3/8 inch kerf in the top of my left boot. Never touched the skin (or my toes) but ruined the boot. I was blessed.

I cut a channel in my shin about 5 years ago. Not serious enough to have to go to the hospital though. Then last year I was taking a break standing on the side of my truck when my loader tossed a round up from the ground to the top of the stack. He overdid it a little bit and the round went right over the sideboard and conked me square on the top of my head. The funny thing was I stepped over to the side of the truck to get far enough out of the way to take off my hard hat. I was standing there with the stupid thing in my hand when I got nailed. Fortunately, we were able to save the log without too much damage. Rang my bell big time though.

Not Chainsaw related but I did cut my big toe off with a circular saw, thank god for modern medicine, it's not pretty but it is back on there. Lesson learned, now I wear my steel toes for any saw!

Latest posts

Back