Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And a top of the morning to you! Was 27°F at 4am

Down to 7 days until prep day. 8 days til the main cut at Mansfield.:popcorn:

Steve, will any of the tractors have winching capability? If not, would having one be of help? I can bring the one off my tractor if needed. It is set up for Cat #2. I want to be able to have a big a pile of logs as possible for Saturday, April 5th.

Oliver 1655 with grapple & 12,000 lb skidding winch.jpg

You can tell I like to use a lot of reflective tape. There is no way even if my lights quit working anyone can say they didn't see me. ;)

Steve, will any of the tractors have winching capability? If not, would having one be of help? I can bring the one off my tractor if needed. It is set up for Cat #2. I want to be able to have a big a pile of logs as possible for Saturday, April 5th.

View attachment 341247

You can tell I like to use a lot of reflective tape. There is no way even if my lights quit working anyone can say they didn't see me. ;)

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm. What size wire rope is on there?

Offhand, it looks rather large for the winch drum and you could be having some spooling issues. There is a min. size drum/pulley required for a given diameter wire rope.

A too small drum will cause the rope to take a permanent set and be hard to manage.

I tend to notice sutff like that having spent thirty years working for a wire rope manufacturer.....................www.wirecoworldgroup.com

View attachment 341247

I am planning on bringing my 630 Deere equipped with a 3pt skidding grapple, along with the 2020 loader. Both of these tractors have cat. 2 hitches. The 630 gets around real good in the woods.

So we won't need mine or would you like to put it on the 2020.

The winch is a 12,000 lb Badland winch from Harbor Freight with the same cable it came with. The cable will spin loose on the spool from time to time when there is no tension on it so I just pull it out & re-wind it as needed. I would rather have a hydraulic winch but for $250, I make it work.

Depends on the terrain. The 630 does OK on hillsides and the flat land, but not the gullies. If there are some good trees in the gullies, a winch may be just the thing.

Sam, Hopefully by the time you get there we will have a big pile of log ready for Saturday's group to work on. However, you never know what will happen or what the weather will be.

Very little of this stuff is in gullies. Most is reasonably gentle slopes or flat land. Maneuvering amongst trees, yes, but nothing steep. Ed and I have changed the time we will be getting on site from Friday morning to around noon on Thursday and will be camping Thursday night, too. The main entrance gate will be open Friday , Saturday , and Sunday. But will not be open Thursday. If anyone wants to come Thursday afternoon, pm me for directions to the back entrance. The terrain at the back entrance is comparable to the GS camp. The landowner has said it's ok for us to have a campfire in camp. I'll try to come up with some kind of metal fire ring for that. I think I have a 55 gallon drum I can cut down.

Sam, I don't know if you can tell but the winch is easy to move around. It is bolted to a 1/4" steel plate welded to a 2" length of sq tubing so it can be used with most receiver hitches. Welding cable connectors on short leads make it easy to make the battery connections.

A battery mounts on the skidding attachment which has leads that plug into the tractor so I have the benefit of 3 batteries & the tractor's alternator as well as the welding connectors for winch. (In a pinch I could weld with it.) So with removing 1 pin & twisting the connectors apart, the winch is ready to move.

There is a receiver tube welded to the front of the 18' car hauling trailer which has an electric over hydraulic tilt. I have leads already bolted to the trailer's battery so hook up is a snap. I also can slide a length of chain through the 2" tubing & anchor it to most any thing. The only bad part is it weighs close to 100lbs. Lifting it from the ground onto the skidding attachment is a little bit of a chore. :(

Good afternoon folks, while I think about it, I have a new pair of Big Ben brown duck coveralls. They are size Lg/Long and too big for ole slim Jim, I wear Md/Long. Looking to sell cheap or trade for about anything saw related.
Trying to figure out how and if I can make this charity cut. I might be gimpy legged, but I can still limb and run a splitter.
Sunshine and 40 out, but that wind is really howling, anything not weighted or tied down might end up in the next county, including me. The caffine is starting to kick in and I'm about ready to go do something even if it's wrong.
The farmers have been going balls to the wall putting down anhydrous the last few days. It's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow, so they will be running well after dark. Later Jim

Latest posts

Back