Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after a lot of huffing and puffing, (which doesn't take long to reach that state) still no go. Think I'll let it soak longer, try again saturday. Time to go sit down. :)
A year ago I bought a wrecked Jeep with only 70,000 miles on it for the motor and some parts, I got it all swapped over to my jeep knowing it was a good motor, when I went to start it it would not turn a bit! Tried every mixture of oils recommended by everyone, wait wait wait, nothing.
So I popped the head off and found this! I cleaned the cylinders out the best I even honed what I could, nothing. A customer came in and saw the motor and said it looked similar to a tractor motor and told me he had great luck with pouring warm water about 180* in them to break them loose, so I heated water on the wood stove in a metal five gallon bucket, about three gallons of water and dumped it in the jacket holes best I could till it was full.
It broke lose right away about five minutes after I dumped it.
I have a about 15,000 miles on it since then. Runs great!
image.jpg

A year ago I bought a wrecked Jeep with only 70,000 miles on it for the motor and some parts, I got it all swapped over to my jeep knowing it was a good motor, when I went to start it it would not turn a bit! Tried every mixture of oils recommended by everyone, wait wait wait, nothing.
So I popped the head off and found this! I cleaned the cylinders out the best I even honed what I could, nothing. A customer came in and saw the motor and said it looked similar to a tractor motor and told me he had great luck with pouring warm water about 180* in them to break them loose, so I heated water on the wood stove in a metal five gallon bucket, about three gallons of water and dumped it in the jacket holes best I could till it was full.
It broke lose right away about five minutes after I dumped it.
I have a about 15,000 miles on it since then. Runs great!
View attachment 413169

You know, I was thinking of some kind of heat. And this would also tell me if the orings are still sealing. Think I'll try this Saturday.

While I'm hoping these different tricks work to break it free, I also realize there is a possibility that I'll just have to tear it down. Which is ok. I can't complain, the price was right. Plus it has good tires on it, which is huge in my book.

Morning all!! Sliced up a little cherry burl yesterday for a buddy of mine that makes pens he loved it...
e3ce1ec5894745c59ef6a21b64f54521.jpg

Back