Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning gents, today is looking a lot better than yesterday, I hate those gloomy and rainy ole days. I was glad to see our southern contingent made it to Wis. without any mishaps. Have a good one and play safe, later Jim.

Been having oil pressure problems on my F150 past couple of weeks. Factory gauge would read fine at half gauge, then fall in half. Still in the good zone, but worrisome. So I put a tee on the block and ran a real gauge in parallel with the factory gauge. Started it up cold and got 50 lbs on the real gauge and low on the factory one. Took it out and drove it for an hour to get the oil good and warm. 45 lbs at highway speed then the factory gauge came up to its proper spot. Real gauge, 25 at idle and 45 driving. I like that. Almost was ready to pull the pan and check the pick up screen for debris. From online reading, Ford used an idiot light type sender along with a resistor to show good pressure by factory gauge. It could be 5 lbs and the idiot gauge would show good pressure. Sure glad I put a real gauge on the old girl.

Back when I was a youngster it was SOP to hang a Stewert-Warner under the dash. No guesswork

My '56 Chevy had the early plain rear cam bearing with the flat milled on the cam. At slow idle the guage needle would jump from zero to Thirty five.

^ not sure what year you have, but since mid 80's ford oil pressure gauges are fake.
It's not a real pressure sender, just a switch. Once the system hits 7 psi, it moves the gauge.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

^ not sure what year you have, but since mid 80's ford oil pressure gauges are fake.
It's not a real pressure sender, just a switch. Once the system hits 7 psi, it moves the gauge.

Yep, i found that out. Mine's a 95. I used to be ASE certified. But that was back in the 70's. Technology has changed a tiny bit since then. :dizzy::laugh:

Yep, i found that out. Mine's a 95. I used to be ASE certified. But that was back in the 70's. Technology has changed a tiny bit since then. :dizzy::laugh:
I had a 96 f150 lariat with the 5.4L Triton engine. I had major issues with the first engine at 90k miles. Cam phasers and cam bearings shot. Warranty company replaced it with a used engine that has 70k miles on it. I put 10k miles on it and cam phasers went out, plugged cat converters, and chain tensioners blew oil gaskets.
I traded it in for a new 2012 with the 5.0 and love it. They gave me a really good deal.

By my understanding the 04-08 tritons all have major issues. They fixed the issue in 09-10 and new engine line in 11.

Yup. Not to mention spitting out spark plugs. Lol and the intake gaskets.
And I like ford, but don't think I'd own one with the modular engine.
FIL has a 96. We've both spent a fair amount of time working on it. But his and my versions of fixing stuff is totally different. He dumped in a bunch of that blockseal/stop leak crap.
It also tossed a cam phaser. Oil quality and OCI play a big role in those things.
Anyways he finally sent it to the shop and they replaced a head. It's still not right either.

Back