old 024 AV Super upgrade??? 260 or 260 Pro or 261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wind Walker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Some personal background - I've been cutting firewood since I was 12 (44 now) started with my dad and have heated my own house for over the last 20 years. And one summer out of high school my best friend got a Wood Miser Bandsaw mill and we spent the summer felling trees and turning them into boards. This year I just started selling firwood.

I bought my 024 new over 20 years ago and haven't done a thing to it except rubber bushings, sprockets and two bars. Never touched the carb screws and it's only on it's second spark plug. It starts and runs fantastic. This saw has cut alot of wood and owes me nothing.

Last week I was in at the dealer getting another rubber frame bushing and was looking at the new saws. Now that I am selling firewod I think I want something with a bit more power to speed up the process. He said the MS260 pro would be a good saw built with the same lasting quality. I was very surprised to see all the plastic on some of the other saws. Not very impressed. The 260 looks and feels just like my old 024. It's only a 6cc gain, and the dealer said the power increase would be minimal, but the saw would handle the same and last me the next 20 years.

Watching the new videos posted here of the new 261 I will say that looks like it will be very impressive to what I am used to.

So my question is do I get the 260 Pro or wait for the 261? The dealer said he has no info on the 261 (non CQ) at this time. Can't even give me a price.
Anyone know when they will be available and how much they will cost?

I also found a new 260 (non pro) at another dealer, is the de-comp on the pro worth the $50?

The one dealer is offering me $145 trade for my old 024 towards the 260 Pro. I was very pleased with that.

Thanks for any advice, Mike

The non-pro 260 doesn't have an adjustable oiler on it or the decompression valve. If you don't mind spending a little more cash than wait for the 261... They are all good saws, if you have been using a 024 than you will be just happy with a 261 or a 260 pro as they are great saws... Maybe even look at a MS362 or if they can find one a MS361... A little more power and a little more money... As I said earlier they are all good saws its all in what you want. My 260 Pro responded well to a muffler mod, it runs very good even with a 18" bar...

Oh Yea, Welcome to the site!!!

You want to speed up the process?
260/261 isn't really gonna do it.
Jump straight to the 70cc class and don't look back.
Keep the 024 for small stuff and limbing.
Time is money.........

Thanks guys.

Wood size - most everything I can cut with a single pass with the 16" bar on the 024. Sometimes I have to come in from both sides, but not too often.

Volume - I've only sold a cord and half so far, but the fella wants 4-5 more. That's how I'm funding the new saw. Don't expect to make a big production out of it. I enjoy cutting and splitting wood and have grown a good stock pile for my own use so I decided to sell some of the extra.

Since the 024 has no teeth and you can sink the bar up to the motor and the 260 has teeth, I figure I'll get the new saw with the 18" bar to compensate for that.

I have considered a bigger saw. But I really like the way the small saws handle. I also have a MS192 for in the tree work and small limbing. This time of year I usually cut one day a week, but it's usually for 8-10hrs, so I fear that the bigger heavier saw will cause more fatique. But I guess I could probably cut alot more wood in that 10hrs with a bigger saw.

I have considered keeping the 024 and getting a 290 Farm Boss, but the damn thing is almost all plastic. The 311 is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

As far as the 260 Pro and non pro go, is the de-comp on the pro needed? I don't think the adjustable oiler would be of much benifit for my use.

Thanks, Mike

The 260 pro only has 1/10 more hp then the 024S so why bother the 261 on the other hand has 7/10 more hp so that would be a nice upgrade. If you are use to the pro saws you night not like the 290 7/10 more hp but also 2-1/2 pounds heavier.

If you like Stihl , get a 361 or 362 with a 16"bar take the dogs (teeth) off .
Your cutting time will be better than the 260/261 and have the ability to run longer bars better if you need to .The cost difference isn't that much more in the long run (you might have to sell an extra cord) .

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back