Old Elm Log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I did a job for a lady 2 years ago. She had 2 trees that fell across an electric fence, 2 years prior to that, and wanted to get the fence up and reclaim that pasture. One was a big Oak, the other a 30" American Elm. I took the Oak and asked if I could come back and mill the Elm. Time gets away and I finally got by there today, got a trailer load of Locust for firewood, I took down two of those also, and by the time we were done with the Locust we were too dead to even think about the Elm. It looks like it might be getting soft, was too tired to get up close and thump on it, Joe.

Thanks, so I still have hope! The neighbors cut up all of the top wood for firewood. When I got there the log was up off the ground, so I put a few rounds under it and cut it off the stump. The stump then sat back down in the hole. So the log is off the ground, Joe

If it's off the ground

You should be good if it's off the ground. Wood doesn't tend to rot if it is elevated and has even minimal air-flow (within reason).

If they do it by hand, splitting the elm top for firewood should keep the neighbors occupied (and anyone watching amused) for a while. I like to keep a few pieces around just for that purpose. I'll split a nice, big, straight red oak, then hand the maul to someone and tell them to practice on a piece of elm half the size. :dizzy: Very amusing. Hope you will have a chance to mill it. I've seen some amazing wood come out of elm logs,

Grip it and rip it dude! That log looks great and it may look even better inside after aging for a bit. Please post pics if you do mill it!

Joe if it is punky dig into it with the back of a claw hammer and see how deep it goes. I milled some american elm earlier this year for the first time. I'm glad I did. Please take some pics if you do. n8

I'll take pics, may be a while before I get back. For once it seems I'm about caught up on side jobs and chores. If I'm lucky 3 or 4 weeks, Joe.

Back