Old homelite saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjorn773

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was just given two old homelite saws. One is a Super 2 and the other an electric of about the same vintage. They actually look to be fairly well built. Best I can tell, they haven't made the Super 2 for 25 years. They look to be in excellent condition, 125psi on the super. The electric was slipping at the motor shaft, tightened it and seems to cut fine. What kind of quality were these old saws, are they worth messing with?

I was just given two old homelite saws. One is a Super 2 and the other an electric of about the same vintage. They actually look to be fairly well built. Best I can tell, they haven't made the Super 2 for 25 years. They look to be in excellent condition, 125psi on the super. The electric was slipping at the motor shaft, tightened it and seems to cut fine. What kind of quality were these old saws, are they worth messing with?

Congratulations! Homelite made some later ones with plastic skin, but all I have are magnesium housings. Personally, I love 'em, but I'm sure there's plenty of people that would be quick to tell ya they're junk.

Best answer I can give is: If you like the way the saw feels, and you think it cuts good, then keep it. Parts are still pretty easy to come by on these since they made a ton in the day. If you can work on saws yourself, you shouldn't have any problem keeping it going for a long time. If you need to take it to a shop for repair, that may be a different story. Not sure if shops will want to work on an obsolete saw.

Dan

Latest posts

Back