Old machonery question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawyerDave

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not sure if it belongs here or not, but here goes. I bought an old (1907?) Crescent 18" planer at an auction, and am looking to rebuild it, it needs new Babbitt bearings poured, and I was wondering if anyone on this site would know of a machinist or shop near Maryland that might want to take on the job. I tried this question over at owwm site, but as yet, haven't got any takers, so I thought I would expand the knowledge base a little, by asking here. Thanks, SawyerDave.:dizzy:

Where in MD are you? There are Amish in southern Md that may be able to help. Not a huge community like up here in PA, but enough to have a machine shop and sawmill. I had them saw a few walnut logs for me years ago when I lived down there. At any rate, they often will take on jobs like your babbit bearings that more modern machine shops won't touch or in most cases, have no clue how to even do it in the first place. That's where I would start to look anyway.

pored bearings

Sawyerdave
I can tell you how to pore the bearings, if you want to tackle the job.

Grampa

if any way feasible you maybe better off trying to get the unit converted to ball bearings if the bearings on the cutter head are what you are wondering about.
Some babbit bearing that look like they are poured in place are inserts that where finish machined in place

Latest posts

Back