Old Mill WoodStove questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S Tebo

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Guys,

I have been an active member on AS for almost 2 years now and spent most of my time on the Saws Trading Post. I have successfully bought and sold a lot of stuff (bought a lot more than sold to my wife's dismay :mad:) and made some great friends along the way. I have run a weekend warrior Firewood business (cutting, splitting and selling about 30 cords a year) for 4-5 years now. I grew up using a Fisher Grand Papa Bear (step top stove) and after 13 years of living with 2 heat pumps and a gas fireplace, I have finally purchased a beautiful old wood stove to be able to burn and enjoy the fruits of my wood labor (not to mention the better quality of heat and cost of energy savings)! So I bought a Old Mill stainless steel wood stove with cast iron doors. It has 4" legs so it can be used free standing or in a fireplace hearth/ insert style (I will be using it free standing on a riser style Type II Heath Pad. I did some research on Google & ********** I know the stove was made by the Devalt Fab-Weld & Piping Co. (Valley Forge Pa) between 1978-1984 and possibly a litter later than that. It spec & size wise, it looks similar to the OM80, but it is a wood burning only stove (no coal option). It also has one glass front door (not two solid ones) and a larger solid side-load door. Also, it has a rear exit 6" pipe, not the typical 8" like most of the Old Mill stoves had. There is no ID or Spec plate on the stove (but I have found that most of the Old Mill stoves met UL-1482 & ANSI-UL-737 standards). I am using a professional installer who knows Co. and MD state code requirements- Type II Hearth Pads usually 16" from vertical loading door faces (glass) and 8" from non-loading sides. But he is not familiar with this manuf./ model and so my problem is that (for pre-EPA rated era stoves) and no manuf. recomended clearance specs to go by- we have to default to the 36" from combustible walls rule of thumb. Thant would put the stove way to far out into the room. I plan to set the stove on a 45 degree angle in the corner and use two corner heat shields that will be detached from the drywall by the metal spacer brackets and held up 1" on the bottom for 4- sided circulation. Does anyone have any info on which exact model stove that I have? Any MSDS, owner's manual or spec sheets that may contain recommendations for vertical wall clearances? Or if not, any advise short of the 3ft. Rule? I greatly appreciate any and all help on the subject! Thank you, scott
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Pretty stove! Can't help you exactly, but, if the company doesn't exist anymore, perhaps the previous owners are locatable. There must be some records of who owned that factory someplace. You might be able to get the info you need for that model still, just need to find that person.

Pretty stove! Can't help you exactly, but, if the company doesn't exist anymore, perhaps the previous owners are locatable. There must be some records of who owned that factory someplace. You might be able to get the info you need for that model still, just need to find that person.

Thanks for your reply. I bought the stove for the second owner of it in PA. He put me in touch with a local Hearth store in PA that used to sell that brand and they can get a few basic parts for it (mostly aftermarket or other brand that will work/fit it). But they don't have anyone that is still there that was there back when they sold them- so kind of a dead end there too. I'm open to anyone's ideas or input... Thanks again to one and all- Scott

Really a good looking stove.My question is does it have a baffle?Looks like it may not with that size side loading door.

Really a good looking stove.My question is does it have a baffle?Looks like it may not with that size side loading door.
Yes, circular air wash through top baffle which is almost the same size as the top.

Back