Old/Newbie milled some Cherry today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfalk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello felllow millers,
I have been a viewer of this web site for awhile (love it, by the way), but haven't contributed yet...You guys have a lot experience and good ideas..thanks for getting me excited about milling again. I first started milling in 1975 when I bought a Stihl 076AV and a Granberg mill...milled a few logs from time to time (mostly walnut), built some things from it and turned some bowls, but haven't dusted the mill off in a long time.....

Scored some cherry trees recently on University land behind my house that were being cleared.....dug out the ol' 76 (still had the original 30 year old ripping chain!)....first log went pretty slow....tried to sharpen the chain, but I'm not so good at sharpening....broke down and bought a couple new chains from Baileys...Wow, and I mean Wow....what a difference a sharp chain makes....the cherry melted like butter.....

Thanks again for a great web site!

Bob from Madison

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice wood and pics. Made 'em a little smaller to help with quicker downloads.

Hello felllow millers,
I have been a viewer of this web site for awhile (love it, by the way), but haven't contributed yet...You guys have a lot experience and good ideas..thanks for getting me excited about milling again. I first started milling in 1975 when I bought a Stihl 076AV and a Granberg mill...milled a few logs from time to time (mostly walnut), built some things from it and turned some bowls, but haven't dusted the mill off in a long time.....

Scored some cherry trees recently on University land behind my house that were being cleared.....dug out the ol' 76 (still had the original 30 year old ripping chain!)....first log went pretty slow....tried to sharpen the chain, but I'm not so good at sharpening....broke down and bought a couple new chains from Baileys...Wow, and I mean Wow....what a difference a sharp chain makes....the cherry melted like butter.....

Thanks again for a great web site!

Bob from Madison

Nice looking pictures rfalk! Looks like you never missed a beat. Welcome to the site.

Hey bob, really nice timber and great to see an 076 in action. Hopefully that will be be soon when my ally welding BIL gets back from hoildays and helps me building my new mill to fit the 076.
Cheers
BobL

looks good and welcome. I am hoping to mill my free cherry this weekend. It is supposed to finally stop raining tomorrow. Nice boards and nice saw. I love the vintage muscle saws.:hmm3grin2orange:

Interesting to see that 30 year old mill. Looks like the biggest improvement to the Alaskan has been the addition of the top handle!

The old mill works good, however as one of the early models the graduations on the vertical bars weren't very well embossed and it is hard to read.. otherwise ok. I added an oiler to the bar...didn't bother with drilling a hole in the bar...just drip, drip, drip at the roller (stays in place with a plastic lock tie) and works good....use biodegradable oil, so any spillage I don't worry about....

Latest posts

Back