old saw race results

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McC

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Results from the old saw races at the Badger Steam and Gas Engine Show
August 19, 2001, Baraboo, Wisconsin
2-man saws, one cut through 16" poplar log, best of two.
1st Lombard/Homelite: 13.67 sec.
2nd McC 5-49: 18.7 sec.
3rd Mall Model 7: 19.64 sec.
4th Homelite 7-19: 20.1 sec.
5th Titan Blue Streak: 22.17 sec.
6th Mall Model 11: 32.74 sec.
7th Mall Model 6: 40.51 sec. (not running right)

Gear Drive saws, one cut through 14" poplar log, best of two.
1st. McC BP1: 7.45 sec.
2nd Homelite 7-19: 10.9 sec.
3rd McC 55: 12.98 sec.
4th Lombard 34: 16.55 sec.

A good time was had by all, and nobody got hurt!

This is just an amatuer contest. We do it for fun and to put on a good show for the spectators. 1st and 2nd place get a nice plaque. Bring your saw next year, everyone is welcome, and we have plenty of wood to cut. I'll post info on next years show when it gets closer, it's the second weekend in Aug.

From the Archives. Just thought that this would be interesting. My David Bradley 95cc gear drive cuts right about at the same speed as my 50cc 2149 G in a 14" pine log, namely about 12 seconds. In order to get even this out of the DB, you have to ratchet it through using the dogs. Even so, it barely slows down with its .050" rakered 1/2" chipper chain. Without using this method, you'd have to put 1000 lbs. of downforce on it just to get it to bite. And talk about loud. Muffler? What muffler.

Originally posted by dbabcock
From the Archives. Just thought that this would be interesting. My David Bradley 95cc gear drive cuts right about at the same speed as my 50cc 2149 G in a 14" pine log, namely about 12 seconds. In order to get even this out of the DB, you have to ratchet it through using the dogs. Even so, it barely slows down with its .050" rakered 1/2" chipper chain. Without using this method, you'd have to put 1000 lbs. of downforce on it just to get it to bite. And talk about loud. Muffler? What muffler.

Well being a gear drive saw thats how it is. Very high torque but slow chain speed. I wonder how it would perform without the gearing just direct?

Man, I wish I could have been at that show. That would have made my year.

I know NH is half way across the country, but we do this show every year, and in 2003, the dates are August 15, 16, and 17. If you start taking old saws to power shows in your area, you might meet other people in the area who have old saws, and you might be able to get your own show/display going in your area. That's how it got started here. One year my cousin Paul had about 5 old Macs at our local steam and gas show. We had so many people asking questions and really showing interest, we brought about 25 the next year, and some logs to demonstrate on. The next year we had more saws, and a couple spectators from the previous year brought saws of they're own. Well, with that many saws and participants, and us amaturs aspiring to be just like the pro's on ESPN, it was only natural to start timing the cuts. This is also when the old kart engined Macs got dusted off and tuned up, so our contest got really exciting, as well as historic. I didn't take an actual count at this years show, but I would estimate the number of saws on display to be about 150. 25 saws ran in the competitions, 12 competitors. All are welcome to compete, show, or demonstrate.
Scott

How old do the saws have to be? I have a couple from the '60s, but all my favorite toys are late '70s stuff.

NH is just a hop, skip, and a 2-hour drive from here.

We don't have a specific cut-off for age of the saw to compete, but I would say that 1970 would be about as new as we run in the competition here. Most of the weekend is spent demonstrating the saws, and anything could be run as a demonstration. We're all interested in saws, and the age of the saw doesn't determine if it is interesting. There is always plenty of wood to cut for demonstrations.
Scott

Everyone is welcome, bring your saw, and a be prepared to have fun. I get the feeling you might have something pretty fast. We've got some strong McC's and Disstons, and that Homelite/Lombard is something to see. As long as it isn't modified, you're welcome to run it in the competition.

"I have a 1963 two man saw, can I race against you guys with it?"

Good one, Robert! But would your saw be considered "stock appearing" or full mod because of the 8 pipes?

Oh great! here we go, now I'm gonna have to dust off the Sally Saw and get that thing running:D or maybe the DO-100:D. We should start up an old saw race day for New England.

Now we're talking. I'm going to have to finish the work on that RingSaw. See how many people I can scare. :)

Still have to make bigger spikes for the 111S. You can still cut with the tip of the bar...

Get em ready

Scott told me about their little old wheezer and geezer contests (the saws, and their operators) they have on the other side of the lake earlier this year and I am sure planning on coming over next year. I am afraid my S44 will not be up to taking his on, he slipped out a few of the mods he is having made done and it sound a liitle more like something that is going to roar big time. I am trying to get info and a few parts for my M73 and get it running. 7 CI saw that weighs almost as much as my lawnmower engine. If I know enough in advance I am interested in traveling to see some old saws run. JB

Back