Old saws without chain brakes.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawn_penn

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
sawn_penn said:
Yes, my 750VL is nice.
Shame it doesn't have a chain brake. :^( I'm always a bit more careful (nervous?) with this one than the 180C.

Who else runs an old "dino-saw" that lacks safety features?

Anyone know how much accident rates changed with the introduction of modern safety features onto saws?

Under the "dino saw" class, I run a Homelite Super2, and Mac 250. 34" bar on a 250 is kinda dangerous, but its mostly a display piece. I try to use more modern saws that DO have chainbrakes when I can.

My Jonsereds Raket 621 is one of the first ones from 1970, and it has no safety features except a small "knuckle guard" in front of the handlebar.

I use it regularly in spite of this, but mostly for bucking in the yard.
The reason it is not used much in the woods not the lack of safety features, but its power to weight ratio.

The most important safety feature is inside your head! :greenchainsaw:

I too am interested in stats regarding accidents before and after chain brakes were introduced . I only know of a few chainsaw related injuries and none of these would have been prevented with a chain brake system. Now please don't think that I'm insinuating that chain brakes are not a good thing. I do more repairs and restoration than I do operate a saw, even though I do a good bit of work with my saws as well. Fact is of all the saws I own, only one of them has a chain brake. The reason is simply that the saws I enjoy working on and with were never equipped. If I were a professional and operated a saw every day, I'm sure I would have a different perspective.

Dan

My first saw with a chainbrake was a basket case Johny Red 625. The brake went west shortly after I rehabbed it. Then the current Husky 51 about 5 years ago. Now also haveMS310 (3 yoa) now. Been running saws since the 50s.

Only personally know of one accident. Jail inmate on work release was handed a saw and wound up catching the chain with his face on a kick back. Not bad but did leave a scar. Scared the bejeezes out of me when I got the call. Fortunately he was working for a farmer and not the county at the time.

Harry K

lesorubcheek said:
I too am interested in stats regarding accidents before and after chain brakes were introduced . Dan

Would I be correct is sayingthat chain brakes lessen the severity of accidents, not frequency? A non-rotating chain upside the head would still injure a dood, but a rotating chain would make it much, much worse.

bump_r said:
Would I be correct is sayingthat chain brakes lessen the severity of accidents, not frequency? A non-rotating chain upside the head would still injure a dood, but a rotating chain would make it much, much worse.
This is true. a rotating chain, would likely make you have two heads, or die, a non rotating chain, would likely only scar the user some, or hurt like a mother-------er for awhile, but you'd probably live.

I am of that school of thought too, look at what happens...I think we all have been cut handling non mopving chain in the shop...it's a right of passage. I know for a fact with teh MS390 that if teh brake is working properly and this is certainly true on all all other modern Husky, Stihl, Echo, etc. As soon as you get a sever kick, that chain will stop in milliseconds. If you have ppe on teh area of your bod that gets hityou prob. won't get hurt that bad, if you don't you will get a good cut or you might get lucky and it won't be bad, but you'll still know it was a close call. That's my feeling. All of this is purely theoretical. And no one wants to test it I'm sure.

Anyone got any statistics? or even a gut feel of how injuries have changed over the past 20 years?

Mass-market saws may swing the statistics, but they would be interesting anyway.

Chain break

I have a 041 that does not have this safety feature. However I am well aware of the accidental possibilities. I use common sence, good judgment and all the skills that the Democrats are lacking.

I cut stumps with a c-72. Limb with 2-10. Niether of which have any safety features other than common sense.:taped:

I view the chain brake as being the same as a safety on a firearm. Not to be trusted or relied upon. You should control the tip of your saw (which developes the most severe kick back) the same as you control the muzzle of you rifle. Never cut any wood if there is the slightest chance of the tip contacting another piece of wood. If that hazard exists, remove the hazard before proceeding.:)

Mike

Ive got an old Craftsman/Poulan without a chain brake, its 25+ years old and probably hasnt been run an hour its whole life,, it never starts,never has. always had me out of breath before it would start,,not sure why I still even have the piece of crap...

Dale M

I have run plenty of saws without the brake feature. I have also removed a few due to design limitations. If it works, I let it live.

Chain brake or not, you can still get hurt pretty bad.

-Pat

I've never observed one chain brake actually ingage in a kick back. At other times sure, mostly when you dont want them to.

I feel theres enough flexibility in your wrist and your grip to let the bar hit you without engaging the guard type anyhow. I have yet to see a saw with the Enertia type.

I think their best relied on to prevent the chain from spinning in the case of a stick grabbing the throttle while walking through brush.

casey v said:
I view the chain brake as being the same as a safety on a firearm. Not to be trusted or relied upon. You should control the tip of your saw (which developes the most severe kick back) the same as you control the muzzle of you rifle. Never cut any wood if there is the slightest chance of the tip contacting another piece of wood. If that hazard exists, remove the hazard before proceeding.:)

Mike

Amen brother!

Back