Old School

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercer_me

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I helped my grand father today. He had me cut down some trees for him. He's 85 years old and works in the woods almost every day, he just loves working in the woods. He says he has to get out and cut wood or he would go crazy. He also loves his John Deere 420 crawler. It's not a dozer it's a crawler, I'm not sure what the diference is but, he allways says it's a crawler. I like helping him and I try to get over to se him and my grand mother at least once a weak. He all ways tries to pay me but, I never take any money. I all ways say, "Pupa I don't want your money, I just like helping you."

My grand father pulling an Oak log out with his John Deere 420 Crawler.
PupaCrawler1.jpg

PupaCrawler2.jpg

PupaCrawler3.jpg

Thanks guys. I try to spend time with him often. He likes cutting wood and I like cutting wood so it works good.

Gotta love those 2 cylinder JD crawlers. So simple and handy.
Keep working with Grampa. You'll always remember your times in the woods together. :msp_thumbup:

Gotta love those 2 cylinder JD crawlers. So simple and handy.
Keep working with Grampa. You'll always remember your times in the woods together. :msp_thumbup:

Ya, it's an old "put put." And yes it is some thing I will always remember.

Make sure to keep an eye on him while he works, you could pick up alot of good moves and absorb some of that experience that he has to offer; He's been around and knows all the moves, that I can guarantee.

Make sure to keep an eye on him while he works, you could pick up alot of good moves and absorb some of that experience that he has to offer; He's been around and knows all the moves, that I can guarantee.

I do that. I wach him when ever he is doing any thing. He is 85 so he has figured out the most efitient way to do things.

It is a crawler type tractor, but it does have a dozer blade attached. Most "straight" or "bare" crawlers were used for cultivation, especially in the muck fields. I have owned about 20 crawlers and a number of them came without a blade, loader, winch or PTO. However, I did have one Oliver OC-6 diesel that had a 3 point hitch.

I SECOND THAT ! Gand Pa looks like a hard worker too !

His generation is often called the "greatest generation" for good reason, although he may be just a hair on the young side for that. Lost my grandpa bout 4 years ago at age 87. We used to run a buzz saw together using a Farmall M and a belt hooked to the saw. Miss him and envy you.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. That log arch looks really nice.

Cherish the times with your granddad - I know you do. I lost both of mine 20+ years ago (and I ain't that old). God! Has it been that long? Maybe I AM that old...

I miss them very much.

Latest posts

Back