Old School

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are to be commend! allot of people just don't take the time any more.

Thank you. Alot of people won't take the time to help older people any more and some people will help them but the expect to get paid. I never take money from my grand parents. I enjoy helping them.

Thats a great deal you have going on with your grandfather, reminds me of what me and my grandpa used to have together. In our case we spent our time together working on antique tractors and going to shows, it was the time I spent with him that made me choose to be a mechanic. The last tractor we worked on together was my 440 crawler loader, he had been diagnosed with colon cancer and couldnt do a whole lot with me but he still was there to check up on me as I ebuilt the engine. I managed to get it rebuilt and running for him to hear it run a week before he passed away. I sure miss him, enjoy every second with your grandpa and you wont have any regrets about the time you shared.

Great pictures and story.

When I was sixteen (long time ago) I took a 70 John Deere up to my grand dads farm to help him plow. We had finished the plowing and I was booming the J.D. on the trailer when grandpa walks up and is looking at the tractor with a bewildered face. He looks at me and ask why in the world dad and I think we needed such a big tractor? I sure wish he was around today to see what I farm with. I'm sure it would draw a commit like " buy more horses to plant more corn to buy more horses". I miss the wisdom of that wise old man and Know that I should have paid a lot more attention to him when I had the chance.

MO-Iron

Great pictures and story.

When I was sixteen (long time ago) I took a 70 John Deere up to my grand dads farm to help him plow. We had finished the plowing and I was booming the J.D. on the trailer when grandpa walks up and is looking at the tractor with a bewildered face. He looks at me and ask why in the world dad and I think we needed such a big tractor? I sure wish he was around today to see what I farm with. I'm sure it would draw a commit like " buy more horses to plant more corn to buy more horses". I miss the wisdom of that wise old man and Know that I should have paid a lot more attention to him when I had the chance.

MO-Iron

It's funny how a lot of grandfathers live on in our lives even after they're gone, through their machines. In 1954, my granpa rolled in the driveway with the new John Deere R and it's matched 4 bottom "power troll" plow. That was "big time" then. We laugh about it now... I lost him last year, but the old R is still in my barn and I run it now and then... "Just because"... Keep that old crawler going Mercer... You can tell your son all about it, and the man who held it so dear...:cheers:

It's funny how a lot of grandfathers live on in our lives even after they're gone, through their machines. In 1954, my granpa rolled in the driveway with the new John Deere R and it's matched 4 bottom "power troll" plow. That was "big time" then. We laugh about it now... I lost him last year, but the old R is still in my barn and I run it now and then... "Just because"... Keep that old crawler going Mercer... You can tell your son all about it, and the man who held it so dear...:cheers:

I doubt he will pass that crawler down to me since I have ALOT of cousins and uncle's who would also like to have it. But, that doesn't matter to me, I don't help him becouse I think he's going to pass the crawler down to me. I will allways help him work on it if it ever breaks down.

My Dad and uncle own a 5050 Allis-Chalmers tractor together. My great grand father bought it brand new in 1978. So, one day it will be passed down to me. I run it more then my Dad and uncle anyways. It's realy neat to have things like that, that have bean in the family for years.

Cool pics! Cherish those moments. my grandad on my dads side died when I was 3. My grandad on my moms side died when I was 12.

My dad died when I was 4. Boy believe you me there have been times when I wish I had those father figures around. For advice, and the good company.

you are truly blessed!

Very cool! Those ole JD's are very handy machines for sure, Great to see your grandad still gettin out in the woods at that age! :cheers: Alot of stories from him I'm sure, Very priceless!

Very cool! Those ole JD's are very handy machines for sure, Great to see your grandad still gettin out in the woods at that age! :cheers: Alot of stories from him I'm sure, Very priceless!

It's very good that he gets out there almost every day at his age. He has never smoked or drank and has all ways worked. So, he is pretty healthy.

Thats great that you can get out and work with him! Wish you had a video so I could hear that baby running. I have always considered it to be a crawler when used for agricultural purposes usually with out a blade.

Billy

Thanks for the pics. None of my family did anything in the woods, They don't see what enjoyment there is to go out and do stuff outside. Enjoy your time with your grandad, there is a lot to be learned by some one of his age. I am inpressed on the condition of that crawler, in real good shape for the age of it.

Beefie

Thats great that you can get out and work with him! Wish you had a video so I could hear that baby running. I have always considered it to be a crawler when used for agricultural purposes usually with out a blade.

Billy

I will try to get a video of it. He never used his crawler for agricultural purposes, just hauling out trees, plowing snow, leveling gravel and a few other things.

Thanks for the pics. None of my family did anything in the woods, They don't see what enjoyment there is to go out and do stuff outside. Enjoy your time with your grandad, there is a lot to be learned by some one of his age. I am inpressed on the condition of that crawler, in real good shape for the age of it.

He takes wicked good care of his crawler. He takes wicked good care of every thing he ownes. He is wicked particular about his things.

Back