Old time mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmbeachy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was able to attend the Rough & Tumble show in Kinzer Pa recently, where they were mill with an old mill run by two power units. A steam engin and a Rumley Oil Pull. I will try to post some pics of this.
Rough005.jpg

This is loading the mill
Rough004-1.jpg

This is the first cut
Rough006.jpg

This is the third cut slabbing off
Rough008.jpg

This is what they hit on the third cut going into the log.
Rough011.jpg

This is were they cut it out.
Rough012.jpg

After this they cut a nice bunch of wide red oak boards.

I've been to that very show many times, it's not far from me, and also was mesmerized by that mill when they were running logs through it. I could stand there and watch that for hours. I like to hear the sound of it as the blade rips through a cant almost as much as watching it slice logs. You get different pitch sound from different kinds of wood, as well as different size and speed at which they run it through. As was posted other places, it's interesting to watch how little protection the men running it have against the moving equipment, including that huge blade, only feet and sometimes inches from the operators. You really need to keep your wits about you. Thanks for posting. Maybe I'll see you there next year.

I've been to that very show many times, it's not far from me, and also was mesmerized by that mill when they were running logs through it. I could stand there and watch that for hours. I like to hear the sound of it as the blade rips through a cant almost as much as watching it slice logs. You get different pitch sound from different kinds of wood, as well as different size and speed at which they run it through. As was posted other places, it's interesting to watch how little protection the men running it have against the moving equipment, including that huge blade, only feet and sometimes inches from the operators. You really need to keep your wits about you. Thanks for posting. Maybe I'll see you there next year.

I hear you, woodshop; One of my best memories is going with a friend to his uncle's place for a couple days as a kid, and watching him use a big circle mill, and yelling at us to stay the hell away! I think I was probably 7 or 8, and really wanted to see what was going on. I remember everyone saying how careful you had to be, and not acting very careful at all; too close to the blade. Cool to watch though. Very cool.

They said it was an old high line insulator, but I couldn't really tell, it did have a large metal bolt or rod through it. It worked havoc on the saw blade.

Back