Old Wood Cook Stove Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a great looking stove from the stove picture tread

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59905&d=1195170195
====

If you don't like the price of a new one you sure as hell won't like the price of a "Good" old one..

I'll take that as a compliment WidowMaker. I love my stove. I also love everyone's antiques. They are so awesome.

DW, When we built our house in 1996, we planned the whole house around this stove. Since we get so much wood as a by-product of the business it just made sense. We have electric backup heat in the house (for insurance purposes) but have never turned it on. Coldest we have experienced here (at this location) is -25 deg F. The house is a 2-story, 1634 sq ft.

We cook and heat on this year round. During the summers on very hot days we go to sandwiches, BBQs and salads...but since all my electric stove friends do that also, I don't think of that as copping out. I don't even have an electric stove in the house, or a microwave for that matter.

This stove is a 1920s replica with an enlarged firebox that will hold up to 20" logs. The baking and roasting does take knowing your woods. For example, roasting a turkey (long times at moderate heat) I will use the pines, cottonwoods. For a hot fire, I will go to the maple, elm (we don't have much oak out here).

I believe we gave up a lot of taste and enjoyment when we succumbed to the lure of convenience and expedience. And there is nothing quite so comforting as cozying up to the stove after coming in from a cold work day.

Go for the wood stove. And enjoy.

Sylvia

Last edited:
Leuvense wood cooking stove

This is what my great-grandmother was using

leuvense%20stoof.jpg

Coal burner.
As you can see the oven part can slide forward over the fire-bowl to regulate temperature in the oven.

Great memories and one day i'll find one

I have one my Dad gave me to restore just last week,he just doesnt have the energy for that kind of thing anymore.

Glascock Victor Junior Wood Stove.jpg

This is how it looked when I bought it. I'm about a week away from taking the "finished" photos. Waiting on one last box of parts to arrive. It's a Glascock Victor Junior.

Roughing it? They are eating off the floor.

Table custom built, inside the cabin in the late 1940's and covered with that even more custom linoleum in the early 50's after the cost of the wood for the table was amortorized, and the members were feeling flush again. There has been some crazy talk about updating the curtains again, but I think that fad will pass too.

That is a class act picture for sure. If I had a stove like that, it would be in the kitchen.
I'll bet those guys have a lot of memories to talk about, great times for sure. Makes me want to be one of the guys at the table.. Nice Post!!

Table custom built, inside the cabin in the late 1940's and covered with that even more custom linoleum in the early 50's after the cost of the wood for the table was amortorized, and the members were feeling flush again. There has been some crazy talk about updating the curtains again, but I think that fad will pass too.

Iska3 - I have traveled to MN regularly for several years, and had the distinct fortune to be welcomed to a couple great fishing camps, and a small cabin on a lake for some great duck hunting. Most of those hosts have been here to PA for some time in my duck blind, or a trip to the mountains for some quality time in the PA woods. So, if you ever get to PA, you'd be welcome to join us for a weekend or a week.

Cabin was built by a small group of WWII vets just after returning home after the war. Most were self-taught craftsmen, so we've never had to pay for any service of any kind. We are lucky to have most of the original members (none in that picture though) still with us, and telling great tails of the greatest generation. An interesting note; all of them are (or were) widowers, two have outlived two wives. I'm kind of banking on it being something in the water there. But, as is pretty obvious, no one goes home hungry either.

And, this past week, Mother Nature delivered a nice load of firewood to the front of the cabin:

IMG_6521.JPG

Jere - My wife is from NJ so I've gone through PA several times, some of the area reminds me of MN. Lot of farm and wood lands. For some reason, I thought your first pictures had a story behind it and I was right. Looks like a great bunch... I guess if a tree was to fall, it couldn't have picked a better place. I hope some of the tree works out for you(s)

Back