older Homelite id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dungcannon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,
I found an older Homelite at the junkyard, the casing is cracked and the handle mount is cracked. There are no identification stickers on this saw and I'm trying to id it. The 'Textron' tag says "Type 50082" Serial "T77 04171". It's a red saw w/o chainbrake. Any idea what model this is?
It was dirty from neglect and was looking pretty sad. The bar had not been oiled and the tip was 'blued' from heat. After a good cleaning including partial dismantle it fired up and runs strong, and idles very well and sounds wonderful.
Thanks!

I will play the guessing game,

Lets see, red,,,,,Textron,,,junk yard,,,,still runs,,,,hmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

XL12 (or super, or auto)

Does it look like this?

Last edited:
A lot of potential there.Do you think that it got smacked because the chain is on backwards so it couldn't cut?

Very nice find,you're going to like it.

Last edited:
i KNOW IT'S IN THE VI SERIES, LOOKS LIKE A 922

A VI series would have a fairly large and cumbersome shock mounted handle bracket. I have a VI-123 (VI version of the saw in the photo) and it's a whole other appearance.

Plus, a 922 is considerably larger than the one shown.

it does look like the XL-130 on the acresinternet link - although in this case I have only 1/2 the handle. It looks like it was run over - then welded on the chain side. It wasnt welded straight or clean so it will be ground down and re-welded along with the handle bracket and lower handle mount (unless by some miracle I find another clutch cover). It will be a work saw. thanks for all the posts!! I'm wondering why someone would put a hole in the center of the clutch cover?

Parts shouldn't be too hard to find as far as a front handle as all the XL-1xx series would be the same, prolly easier than trying to fix. I would also agree that it is an xl-130. As far as the hole in the clutch cover it was prolly worn by the end of the crank, I see it often enough...

I've got both the XL-130 (UT 50148) and the XL-76 (UT 50150)

Your's is likely the 130 as it has the metal recoil cover guard and muffler the same as my 130. Perhaps they changed the air filter cover colour, my 130 air filter cover is black.

HPIM1117a.jpg

HPIM1119a.jpg

HPIM1123a.jpg

HPIM1128a.jpg

I agree with the previous posys of a 130.

I have the XL76 and XL130 here but I have never been able to find another XL76 like mine. I sure wish I could.

Bill

thanks for the pictures and posts! I was beginning to think it was an xl-76 because of the picture on the acresinternet site showing a two piece handle.
I have both North American saws and European saws. I like them both but have a soft spot for the old American iron - they were tough/gutsy and lasted many years as people here can testify. I think of the Axmen show and the current debate between Husky and Stihl and wonder if 30 years ago people debated between McCulloch and Homelite!

yep, but going back more than 50 years, McCulloch guys and the Homelite guys talked a bit of smack about eachother, it was far more civil than the current Husky/Stihl bash-a-thons. There was mutual respect, both outfits had their good and bad features, both makes put an awfull lot of big timber on the ground, probably more than rest of the brands put together.

Last edited:
Back