Older Ripsaw Mill Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Weber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've located a 5 year Ripsaw for sale and since I'm a newbie here, I'm curious as to whether there are any major differences in the design of the ripsaw since then? I haven't yet been able to get a price from the guy but he tells me it is equipped with a Stihl 036 head. I already have a powerhead so if I could buy it without the sawhead, I'd prefer to do that but if I need to, I'm willing to buy the entire set up. Also, any ideas on what it is worth assuming it is in good condition?

I've located a 5 year Ripsaw for sale and since I'm a newbie here, I'm curious as to whether there are any major differences in the design of the ripsaw since then?

Most noticeable diff between older versions and new ones are the larger diameter bolts that hold the guide plate in place when you set the depth of cut. The older ones had smaller bolts, 1/4 fine thread, and it was easier to over torque and if continued eventually partially deformed the square tube they go through. Nothing large thick washers wouldnt fix, but a possible problem none the less. The newer models have larger bolts with larger heads, much easier to set height of cut. As for cost... lots of variables. How abused is the thing, has it been taken care of? Take the price of a new one and set your percentage of that you are willing to pay and go from there.

Thanks for the information. The current owner won't be back until March but I have arranged to see the unit then. His asking price is somewhat high but if it is good condition, then probably worth it. We'll see.

Al

Latest posts

Back