Older saws for Milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aggiewoodbutchr

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
What is the displacement of a JD60?

I use an older saw. Set up for it was the same as any other. Set the high speed jet a little rich and mix your fuel richer than the saw manufacturer recommends (I run 32:1). Milling really puts a saw through it's paces so proper maintenance is paramount. Use a ripping chain and keep it sharp.

Other than that, fire it up and have fun.

Last edited:
carvinmark

carvinmark

Addicted to ArboristSite
aggiewoodbutchr said:
What is the displacement of a JD60?

I use an older saw. Set up for it was the same as any other. Set the high speed jet a little rich and mix your fuel richer than the saw manufaturer recomeds (I run 32:1). Milling really puts a saw through it's paces so proper matainence is paramount. Use a ripping chain and keep it sharp.

Other than that, fire it up and have fun.
I have been running 32:1 for a while now.One of the old timer saw shop guys(the owner) told me I better be carefull,that more oil makes them run hotter.What do you think? I thought about it,maby he is correct.I have went back to 50:1 and no problems so far. Does this make any sense to you,That more oil would burn longer and hotter? I agree with the maintenance issue.

poleframer

poleframer

ArboristSite Operative
According to Acres if its a 60V the displacement is 60cc (59.8).
Unless you're milling small softwood you'll need a bigger saw, or a lot of patience. I mill with a Stihl 090-137cc that I got after finding thar an 064-85cc wasnt enough.
I dont know, but maybe your saw has some collectors value, you might be able to trade for a bigger saw.
Russell

Latest posts