Older saws.....why gear drive???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been said over and over that gear-drive saws are slower than modern saws, but it has been my experience that there are exceptions to this rule.
Generally speaking, yes but if the gear-drive runs a chain large enough AND doesn't bog down in the cut, it may actually be faster.
Now, here's where you guys may want to let the dogs out:
Last year at a Heritage festival up in Campbell Co. Va. we had a piece of Chestnut Oak (more like a rock) about 35" in diameter. It was giving my vintage saws a hard time to say the least. I was worried about temperatures,but had confidence in my mix oil (Amsoil Sabre). I cut through this log rather quickly with my Mercury KB7-B. I never thought about the actual time. Stinkbait cut it nicely and quickly with his Super Pro 125C . When we were done cutting the second time with the Merc and the 125 we reviewed the videos that had been taken and Stinkbait informs me that the KB7-B is noticably faster. I was unsure even though Stinky doesn't lie until I watched the vids. Max rpm on the Merc is 4000,chain is 3/4 pitch and takes out "fragments" of wood that hamsters in their cages would be glad to have.
The 125 was wearing full comp 404 and a 36" bar. Kb-7b has a 49" bar. I wouldn't have believed it myself, but the film doesn't lie. OK, LET'S HEAR IT!
Igpoe:cheers:

Also, I feel I must warn those of you who may be wanting a gear-drive to consider what happens if you're cutting from the bottom of a log upward and it pinches...............................yep, you're in instant trouble. You can'tcut back on the throttle fast enough to keep it off of you if it's got good power and tuned nicely.
Igpoe:cheers:

c5.jpg

I picked up a C-5 that needs, at the very least, a missing fuel line replaced that runs from the tank to the carb. How rare are the C-5 gear drive conversions? Would one of you Old-timers just happen to have an IPL for the gear set up?
:greenchainsaw:

The last models of big inch geardrives were truly beasts. The 890 series McCullochs, XP Homelites all were capable of running 60" to 72" bars. The 87cc 660 worked well with a 48", even in old seasoned Doug Fir. Any of them will remove the idea that geardrives will make you grow old while sawing.

If your DB has the AH47 motor,
They didn't have much in the way of power.
Gear reduction was needed to pull the chain.
Some of the other DB saws with the AH58 And AH81
motors they were made with geardrive and direct drive.
Lee

Well...with the gear drive, once the motor is nice and warmed up, you bury the 22" bar in soft, sticky spruce with that half inch pitch chain and just listen to the gears as you pull a load. It's music.

I have a 98cc DB I need to take out and use here soon before the snow melts.

Pics require!

I picked up a C-5 that needs, at the very least, a missing fuel line replaced that runs from the tank to the carb. How rare are the C-5 gear drive conversions? Would one of you Old-timers just happen to have an IPL for the gear set up?
:greenchainsaw:

Pics required! :chainsaw: :clap:

My 1-86 came with 36" and 72" bars and a bunch of chain. I'm not sure that I want to run it with a 72' bar. It is set up for 404 chain, but had a few loops of 1/2" in the tub with it. I can see why they used the handles on the bar tip. Falling with it would be a project for very studly men. It is a mean, loud, heavy, old beast!

The last models of big inch geardrives were truly beasts. The 890 series McCullochs, XP Homelites all were capable of running 60" to 72" bars. The 87cc 660 worked well with a 48", even in old seasoned Doug Fir. Any of them will remove the idea that geardrives will make you grow old while sawing.

On the wall of the front office of the last big logging company I worked for, there's a picture of one of the founders of the company in the woods with his 3100G wearing a 72" bar and chain on a fresh Port Orford cedar stump (about 90" worth.)

The picture to me is what logging in the old days is all about. Big saws, big wood, big old boys.

My Canadien 220 gear drive.
She runs but needs the correct needle spring in the carby.

Al, that is one cool old saw.

In the begining, right after light was invented, two strokes were not as powerful as they became later, gear reduction really was required. Later oneman geardrive designs were dreadnaught class Old Growth killers, using 60" to 84" bars. Such Chainsaws persisted into the 1970s, when the need for them vanished, so did they, now they are collector's trophys.

Well said, Randy ! Looking at the Mac 33, 35 series, their engine is quite small with little guts and the gearbox was probably needed to get some work done.

Back