Ole husky 77

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birddog721

Reaction score
First time posting but been lurking and reading on here for a couple months.
Rebuilt the carb on the ole 77 the other day and put about 4 cords of wood thru her. Sure do love bucking firewood with this ole bow saw. Anybody else running a 77.

Also I'm doing my first muff mod on a husky 55 and was reading about having to adjust the carb after doing it. What exactly should I be adjusting it too or listening for on the adjustment. Thanks for any replies or help.

Attachments

• 0130180930.jpg
    0130180930.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 31
Check to make sure the carb can be adjusted. Some have little plastic stops on them. Also called limiter caps. On a 55 you can get in there with a Dremel and grind the ear off so you can turn the screw. It’s really not very difficult.

Me personally. I screw my high speed needle out with the saw running wide open. Listen for a stumble / miss I leave mine right there. Loosening that high screw increases fuel. If the saw has them it’s likely enough that high needle will be red

Check to make sure the carb can be adjusted. Some have little plastic stops on them. Also called limiter caps. On a 55 you can get in there with a Dremel and grind the ear off so you can turn the screw. It’s really not very difficult.

Me personally. I screw my high speed needle out with the saw running wide open. Listen for a stumble / miss I leave mine right there. Loosening that high screw increases fuel. If the saw has them it’s likely enough that high needle will be red

Thanks for the info jake. Ill check it out and see if it has them. I've never gotten into saws a whole lot but own several. Have always just cut firewood to heat with and petaled off a little here and there for a little extra folding money. This sight has gotten me interested in doing upgrades and wanting to play with them a little more.

Went to an action for the Alabama DOT a year or so ago and bought a lot section of saws, weedeaters, edgers, and blowers. The lot contain a husky 3120, 2- ms290s, ms210, 2 stihl backpack blowers, 2 husky handhelder blowers, stihl weed eater, and 2 husky edgers. Oh and it also contained a stihl electric chainsaw sharpener that you can see in the picture above beside that ole 77. I paid $600 for the whole lot which at the time wasnt so sure how good of a deal it was. After finding this sight and some research I realized it was like hitting the lottery for a chainsaw fanatic.

Thanks for the info jake. Ill check it out and see if it has them. I've never gotten into saws a whole lot but own several. Have always just cut firewood to heat with and petaled off a little here and there for a little extra folding money. This sight has gotten me interested in doing upgrades and wanting to play with them a little more.

Went to an action for the Alabama DOT a year or so ago and bought a lot section of saws, weedeaters, edgers, and blowers. The lot contain a husky 3120, 2- ms290s, ms210, 2 stihl backpack blowers, 2 husky handhelder blowers, stihl weed eater, and 2 husky edgers. Oh and it also contained a stihl electric chainsaw sharpener that you can see in the picture above beside that ole 77. I paid $600 for the whole lot which at the time wasnt so sure how good of a deal it was. After finding this sight and some research I realized it was like hitting the lottery for a chainsaw fanatic.
Oh you did well.

Also lowers RPM's and make it too fat for efficient cutting. Husky 55 max rpm's 12,500. I set them @ 12,000 to 12,200 they cut well and are still in safe zone. JMO>
Shep

First time posting but been lurking and reading on here for a couple months.
Rebuilt the carb on the ole 77 the other day and put about 4 cords of wood thru her. Sure do love bucking firewood with this ole bow saw. Anybody else running a 77.

My very first saw, purchased in the mid 70's, was an L65. I still have it and still use it. I liked the L65 so much that I've purchased another one, along with some L77's (ebay). I have 2 running 77's and a big pile of parts, enough to build another 77 if I wanted to. They are very tough saws that can take a lot of use and abuse. One weakness they all have, and I don't yet have a solution, is the seal between the air filter and the carb is poor. Very fine dust gets sucked into the inside of the filters, and I'm always taking them off and cleaning them. I'm sure that a bit of the dust gets sucked into the engines, but it doesn't seem to cause any damage far as I can tell. I use mine for light chainsaw milling, noodling firewood rounds, and bucking tree trunks.

Also lowers RPM's and make it too fat for efficient cutting. Husky 55 max rpm's 12,500. I set them @ 12,000 to 12,200 they cut well and are still in safe zone. JMO>
Shep
Not sure what you’re getting at shep? I don’t have a tach. I do have a 55. You sayin I should bring my rpms up a click? As in not leave it on the stumble? Or are you suggesting I get me a tach and go by specs?

Yes and Yes. I check all my customers saws w/tach have found most 1500-2500 rpm's low. Low revs lends to a cooling problem. Flywheel is not moving enough air @ reduced rpm's. Also, causes them to carbon up worse. I don't tune them in the wood because 99.999 percent of them don't and or can't tune saw 2-3 times a day.
Shep

Back