Olive Tree Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trey

Reaction score
I had a landscaper install 6 mature olive trees (~20ft) about 1 year ago. My home is new and the soil is poor/clayish as many home sites are in this area (Del Mar, CA - 6 miles from coast, zone 24 I think). They receive good sun most of the day, with the most intense sun in the morning. The weather is mild, although a little warm now for here, and it's not too windy or otherwise extreme in regards to weather. The area they are in is irrigated as there are lavendars next to most (~2 ft from the trunk all around) and grass near one (~4ft from the trunk on 1 side). They each have a large PVC pipe that goes down to a gravel bottom below the roots, but there is no other ventilation as I've seen with some plantings. I have not fertilized other than very light 15-15-15 on the lavendars and even then only once.

None of the trees look fabulous but 2 are in really poor shape, and 1 of those appears dead. The dead looking one is nearest grass and the irrigation that goes with it.

The problem I believe has to do with too much water - at least initially. After 7 months and seeing the plant starting to brown, I checked the drain pipe and found a few feet of water in it, which I subsequently pumped out with a shop vac. I had to do this on two more occassions, each ~3 weeks apart -- apparently I was still overwatering. I had a similar problem but to a lesser degree with the other sick one. It's not near grass but was probably being watered too much as well. It only had to be pumped once though and was dry the other day.

After the last pumping I dramatically reduced the water.

My concern now is that the second sickly looking tree is getting worse and I don't know what to do. My landscaper is going to replace the first one, but I want to argue for the second as well if I can't save it.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Any ideas???

Anything would be appreciated. Thanks

Trey

Back