olympyk 264f chainsaw wont start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westcoast1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i purchased this chainsaw recently and cant get it to start. no manual or instructions.
when i pull the cord it is very difficult to pull
if i take out the spark plug the cord pulls easily
found that the fuel line had gotten wedged up by the carb and had sort of melted so got the inside of the line cleaned out enough so that the fuel can flow.
havent figured out how to actually get the saw apart to replace the line completely.
took off the muffler that wasnt the problem
replaced spark plug that wasnt the problem
is there a compression release lever or something that im missing?
any help would be appreciated its getting cold here and i have alot of wood to cut.
thank you.
oh yes also the chain is very loose on this, im wondering what im supposed to do.
can you tell ive never used a chainsaw?
thanks again.

Have you ever had this saw running or did you buy it as is and are starting from scratch?

Make sure you have fresh fuel mix 40:1

Make sure your starting procedure is correct. Switch in the On position, choke closed, throttle locked... Pull until the engine fires off. Open the choke. Pull more until it runs.

Check the obvious things.

Does it have spark?

Is fuel making it into the cylinder? If you turn the ignition off and pull the saw over a few times is the spark plug wet with fuel?

hi i have not used the saw before i just purchased it.

i did a spark test today and got no spark.

there is gas going in as i can see it when i take the spark plug out and pull the cord.

so i dont know how you can test for either a bad on switch or a bad whatever that thing is that the on switch connects to. when i pull it i can pull just one rotation thats it. with the spark plug out it pulls fine.

i just put some gas no mix in to see if it would start. when i take out the spark plug i can see a mist so i know gas is getting to where it should
i have been putting my foot on it and pulling and i just cant get it to go more than one rotation
so dont know if the no spark issue is the only issue?
any ideas?

thank you

Back