omni block loopie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Light duty rigging sling. Can help ropes last longer, and makes limbing out really fast.

nah man not for me its easy enough to put a Light duty 4" pully on a tree and save your ropes. I try and stick with the 4:1 bend ratio as much as possible.

nah man not for me its easy enough to put a Light duty 4" pully on a tree and save your ropes. I try and stick with the 4:1 bend ratio as much as possible.

You use 1" dia rope for lowering?

I have been thinking about getting one myself. You daisy chain it some how to stow it away on your saddle?

You use 1" dia rope for lowering?

no of course not but I should have clearified I use the 4:1 as a minimum. Rigging line is not cheap, somethings I have been told and taught I dont agree with or practice. But the idea that if you bend the rope fibers around too narrow of an area it is going to damage the fibers was an easy one for me to buy in to.

The irony is I say this about my rigging line and try and stick to it as a guideline for rigging line but will bend by climb line around a two ring friction saver. Kind of stupid I guess.

Using a suitable dia. pulley will reduce rope glazing and is kinder to the rope, but when you tie a running bowline onto a piece getting lowered, the knot itself is a 1:1 ratio. (isn't it?) Maybe that is why it is important to precede the knot with a marl or two. And my old portawrap (1st generation) certainly ain't 4" dia. Too tired to go out to the truck to measure the damn thing right now, lol.

Using a suitable dia. pulley will reduce rope glazing and is kinder to the rope, but when you tie a running bowline onto a piece getting lowered, the knot itself is a 1:1 ratio. (isn't it?) Maybe that is why it is important to precede the knot with a marl or two. And my old portawrap (1st generation) certainly ain't 4" dia. Too tired to go out to the truck to measure the damn thing right now, lol.
The knot is also not moving back and forth over the surface and 30, 50, 70 100 feet of rope its a small portion which can be cut out and removed if too damaged and kind of like the climb line over a small arc its unavoidable to a point.

your portawrap may not be 4" (though its prolly pretty close) but it most likely also isnt 1.5 inches.

The knot is also not moving back and forth over the surface and 30, 50, 70 100 feet of rope its a small portion which can be cut out and removed if too damaged and kind of like the climb line over a small arc its unavoidable to a point.

your portawrap may not be 4" (though its prolly pretty close) but it most likely also isnt 1.5 inches.

Well....I got kinda curious so I went and measured ole faithful (boat anchor porty) She is 1 & 7/8" OD. A whole lot closer to the Omni's pulley dia.
Also, if you wait untill you can actually see damage to the (knot) end of a rigging line, it might be a little late in the cycles to failure game. Not that I periodically lop 6" off the end of a perfectly respectable rigging line, but mebbe it would make sense.

Got one! It rocks. Bought a second one to go with it to pull small hang over wires, roofs, and otter obstackles. Its frikken awesome!!! There is a LOT of goofy sheet out there but you glean thru the chaff and get some real gems. Waiting to see if that new husky tophandle is gonna be chaff or a gem....

How long do you expect out of your rigging lines? Just curious I don't use them for very long. 5/8 rope for me I can after 2-3 big trees. That couple hundred dollar rope makes thousands so I guess I just bid it in. I go through a 5/8 and a 1/2 at least once a month. Always bought through the sponsors so I guess it helps. I use the old ones for beaters drag in stuff out of ditches or pulling with my bobcat. Climbing lines I switch every other month at least. 150$ climbing line is good piece of mind and for what taking down big trees cost it's just a drop in the bucket.

I go through a 5/8 and a 1/2 at least once a month.
You talking about yer tampons little girl?

how long do you expect out of your rigging lines? Just curious i don't use them for very long. 5/8 rope for me i can after 2-3 big trees. That couple hundred dollar rope makes thousands so i guess i just bid it in. I go through a 5/8 and a 1/2 at least once a month. Always bought through the sponsors so i guess it helps. I use the old ones for beaters drag in stuff out of ditches or pulling with my bobcat. Climbing lines i switch every other month at least. 150$ climbing line is good piece of mind and for what taking down big trees cost it's just a drop in the bucket.

lol!

How long do you expect out of your rigging lines? Just curious I don't use them for very long. 5/8 rope for me I can after 2-3 big trees. That couple hundred dollar rope makes thousands so I guess I just bid it in. I go through a 5/8 and a 1/2 at least once a month. Always bought through the sponsors so I guess it helps. I use the old ones for beaters drag in stuff out of ditches or pulling with my bobcat. Climbing lines I switch every other month at least. 150$ climbing line is good piece of mind and for what taking down big trees cost it's just a drop in the bucket.

can i have your old rope ?

I try and keep track of cycles a bit and inspect the ropes. The idea being I will replace as use or condition demands. I will admit that I may not replace them as often as needed but I do try and take decent care of them so that they do last.

I would figure you would get a giggle out of that. Quit cutting down baby trees you might be able to wear one out. Just ask the sponsors we switched are sales over to tree stuff excellent service. We do 2-3 orders a week at least once a month comes in a box of ropes.

Last edited:
can i have your old rope ?

Pay for shipping they are yours they even are all in rope bags. They are all 200 foot not sure how many there are maybe 10 5/8. My guys take most of them for making tire swings and other junk like tow ropes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back