One piece of equipment to keep.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If there was some sort of disaster with enough time to save ONE piece of equipment, what would it be?

Since I have very little to speak of, I'm thinking my '71 F250...but then again, the type of disaster would determine my choice, so perhaps my saw so I could get the truck through stuff, no wait...if I had the saw, that would mean I didn't have the truck?...Drat!

And you?

Saying you can have the truck but not the saw is like saying the tools in it dont go with the truck. Same goes for the "snake charmer" tucked under the seat, they go together.

plus you can make weapons with one like a spear and a bow to hunt with. knives are really a one of a kind thing that can be used in millions of situations.

I was originally going to say a case of good scotch, but that isn't really a piece of equipment.

A really good axe would be the most useful to me as it doesn't require fuel, which presumably wouldn't be available, and can serve mutliple purposes.

:agree2: Kinda. As long as it's BIG knife. More like a machete or even a hatchet. I don't think in disaster circumstances I'll be doing a lot of whittling. I imagine there will be more chopping than slicing. Plus a machete/hatchet will give you that much more stand-off when trying to fend off the zombies. :poke:

If my place was still standing it would be my 30 kw onan generator. Just have to " BORROW " enough fuel for A sustained run of several weeks. Could make anything you needed in the shop.

C.B.

If my place was still standing it would be my 30 kw onan generator. Just have to " BORROW " enough fuel for A sustained run of several weeks. Could make anything you needed in the shop.

C.B.

Provided that you were also permitted to keep your welding equip., power tools, etc. which I don't think is part of the "one piece of equipment" deal.

:agree2: Kinda. As long as it's BIG knife. More like a machete or even a hatchet. I don't think in disaster circumstances I'll be doing a lot of whittling. I imagine there will be more chopping than slicing. Plus a machete/hatchet will give you that much more stand-off when trying to fend off the zombies. :poke:

how about this one!! :cheers:

My bow thats easy I can make a knife out of scrap that I
figure would be around. Of course if I had a draw knife I could build
another bow as well but must eat so gimmie my bow. Eh arrows
and broadheads must be included :laugh: I thought this was just
what piece of equipment if you had to chose would you keep
not a dooms day thread, in that case my grapple truck.

I wasn't originally thinking doomsday. More along the lines of recent wildfires here in California...some close to home. Or other areas suddenly flooded, etc. and you had to think quick about saving a beloved piece of gear or most useful thing, or most valuable to you personally.

Well, not advocating this, but the Air Force survival instructor said, of all the items on the list in the excercise, take the gun. Then it's easy to get all the rest of the items on the list......

As far as all around tool, Leatherman. Cutting and grasping the basic tools on the belt.

k

Well, not advocating this, but the Air Force survival instructor said, of all the items on the list in the excercise, take the gun. Then it's easy to get all the rest of the items on the list......

As far as all around tool, Leatherman. Cutting and grasping the basic tools on the belt.

k

you wouldn't want to take a knife to a gun fight now would you? and it makes sense...

My ammo is in the case. Does that make it count as one? Not the .22 though, I prefer my .17 hmr.

If it's not doomsday, but just a localized emergency with a definite but undefined end date, I'd just take my "get out of town" stash of cash I've kept on hand since Katrina. It's enough to keep me and mine sheltered and fed for a couple of weeks even if I can't arrange to bunk with a freind or relative.

If it is doomsday, and the fallout is falling out and the zombies are shambling (I'm still hoping for shambling zombies and not the "I Am Legend" type fast zombies) and I've got to pick just one tool. It would have to be a shot gun with a good mix of shells. If you're going to count guns and ammo as seperate tools then that brings us full circle back to the machete.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back