One reason I dislike oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 663634 View attachment 663635 Whenever I split oak my hands always appear dirty even after washing multiple times and spending close to an hour in the pool. I use a splitter so I'm basically just handling rounds and splits. I will only wear gloves when it's cold.

What kinda oak you splittin? I split lots of different oaks and I don't have that issue.

A lot of red and white.
I split red oak and water oak (sometimes called white oak) all the time. In fact I have been splitting a lot of it lately. The only thing dirty about oak is sometimes there is old dead wood in the center and termites bring in dirt and make this slimy dark brown almost black tar looking mess that can get very dirty if you get it on you. Depending on the tree some trees have a lot of it and some don't have any at all.

I hate wearing gloves too but as soon as I don't I regret it. I use Atlas gloves, they are the only thing that lasts more than a couple cords. I split mostly all red oak and some white oak.

For the last four days been just cutting live Oak. I brought gloves but it was warm so only managed a few minutes with gloves. Ended up with just a few small holes in my hands. When I start loading and splitting the Oak will probably have some gloves on. It is completely dry and no ants in sight. Thanks

Try braided Kevlar gloves. Hard to find but they never rip apart or fall apart. Some guys don't like them but they last forever. Believe me, they will last and last and last... Even hackberry bark will not cut through them, and I don't think any bark is worse on gloves or your hands than hackberry.

I don't split till I'm done cutting its still cold and I wear those double black army usgi gloves. The thinner Husqvarna gloves I use in the warmer weather. I was a year ahead with seasoned firewood.

Back