Online prices vs dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
b92fafc55844f344d97ba84d9d56b042.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
For what it is worth, at a quick glance, to be fair,
you are pricing aftermarket gasket kits and bearings in your "list"....

Certainly a good point, but the thing that burns is me whwn i go to my local stihl dealer for an 028 air filter and he tries to charge me $32 for a stens filter, that he probly paid $6 for. Stihl proces for aftermarket parts seems to be more and more common at dealers these days. Im happy to pay a little more for the convenience, but not looking to be put over a barrel.

Well you have a choice, buy where you get the best deal as I do and anyone else in business does. The old adage of buy cheap and sell dear comes into play in all business decisions. My dealer treats me very well, he shows me his costs and adds 10%, if I am not happy with that I can go elsewhere. Its all about finding the lowest cost in the overall scheme of things. Through my dealer I get things in a day or two, through the mail it will be two weeks and availability is never certain, parts come in in dribs and drabs. Through the dealer I know right up front if its in stock or where and how long it will take to be here. All comes down to making the right choices for the situation at hand.

My local dealer is ok. Customer service is not great, prices are increased more than I'd like. There's a tiny show room and anything other than parts has to be ordered. They're always dead but have been around forever and stay afloat on repairs for local loggers, nurseries, tree farms, etc.
Went to a dealer in a similar neighboring town and they were hopping. Had at least 5 employees running around. Customer service was impeccable. Large show room, repairs, parts counter, and rentals. Only took one visit for me to decide to switch dealers.
I used to work at a tool store. Owner made a successful business with quality tools knowledgeable staff and repairs. Over time he eliminated repairs, replaced the older staff with minimum wage employees and dropped the name brand tools for Chinese imports. Needless to say the company no longer exists.

Key point: you have to do more than just exist to retain customers these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well you have a choice, buy where you get the best deal as I do and anyone else in business does. The old adage of buy cheap and sell dear comes into play in all business decisions. My dealer treats me very well, he shows me his costs and adds 10%, if I am not happy with that I can go elsewhere. Its all about finding the lowest cost in the overall scheme of things. Through my dealer I get things in a day or two, through the mail it will be two weeks and availability is never certain, parts come in in dribs and drabs. Through the dealer I know right up front if its in stock or where and how long it will take to be here. All comes down to making the right choices for the situation at hand.
Sounds like your dealer is WAY better than mine haha.

Might be another option - maybe find another dealer, even if not the closest one?

Full mark-up is one thing, but I don't think that he ought to be charging you freight on top of that, unless you are asking for expedited handling. A 'good' dealer would have many of those items in stock / inventory - if they have to order everything for you, that lessens the value of the service they provide.

I have generally had good experiences with Bailey's (and I only use a credit card so that I am not paying for other people's European vacations). But there are other site sponsors and members who are Husqvarna dealers, and who have a good reputation here on A.S.
@spike60 ?

Philbert

Might be another option - maybe find another dealer, even if not the closest one?

Full mark-up is one thing, but I don't think that he ought to be charging you freight on top of that, unless you are asking for expedited handling. A 'good' dealer would have many of those items in stock / inventory - if they have to order everything for you, that lessens the value of the service they provide.

I have generally had good experiences with Bailey's (and I only use a credit card so that I am not paying for other people's European vacations). But there are other site sponsors and members who are Husqvarna dealers, and who have a good reputation here on A.S.
@spike60 ?

Philbert

Uh, they stole my card info also with thousands of others Bailey kept... which is in violation of most policy's with taking cards even. I can't even write a card number down, never mind keep them on file!
They had NO reason to keep my card info.

None the less it was the complete "don't give a ****" Bailey's had over it that made them lose many customers.

OK, just called a local STIHL dealer about a replacement sprocket nose. "Might be about a week if they have it locally, otherwise 2 weeks". He did offer to sell me a complete new bar for $83.

Philbert

Parts is a big part of our business. We have 2 people on staff that do just that. With Stihl we can see if the part has been upgraded and or if it is in stock. Next day it is in and the customer is happy. We get the odd duck that feels they can get the part for less but in 1 day? usually it is someone in the middle of a job that needs the part straight away. If a part is not in stock for a commercial customer we will pull the part off a in stock unit just to get them back on the job site. Winter storm coming? we open at 3am with a mechanic dedicated to plow repairs. Take care of your customer they will take care of you.

For me, it is a mixed bag with parts. We got two Stihl dealers in town, one is terrible (cannot order parts for the life of them), and the other is fantastic. Free weekly orders and great service on the latter. Prices are pretty good as far as i'm concerned also. For my other parts it's all mostly online. We got two small engine guys in town, one deals mostly with boat motors and is the nicest guy ever, bought quite a few parts from him and the prices are usually cheaper as well as having some special parts. The other small engine guy does about everything else, but is a complete jerk to do business with. Been there twice for potential parts and gotten nowhere. Didn't know what a duckbill valve was even after I explained what it was, and refused to look for one even with the part number I gave him. This same one also does some pretty bad work from what I've seen after he's been in it. Stupid stuff falling off inside covers, no reason for it, other than carelessness and more work when the poor customer doesn't know any better. So overall, except for Stihl and outboard parts, I'm all online. Wish it was different, but what can I do.

My regular STIHL dealer say they can get me a replacement RSN tip by Wednesday. Really surprised that no one has them in stock.

Heads up to guys that have RSN bars - maybe have a spare on hand (or spare bars) if you want to avoid delays.

Philbert

Thus the reason for internet buying!! No ignorant counter help to deal with, no long waits, part comes right to door, no sales tax, usually comes in 2 days. whats not to love!![/QUOTE]

I shop and compare prices for everything now days before jumping.

With computers available now days so as you can review and research the price of stuff, if you pay too much for anything or get a lemon it's your own fault not someone else.
Have to watch them shipping charges also. If not listed get a shipping quote first. several trying to make a living on shipping and handling charges.

Also now days lots of NEW high priced stuff in the big box stores and in the markets that is nothing more than LIPSTICK ON A PIG.

China clone crap is getting harder to ID when buying on-line is about only reason I go to a Stihl dealer anymore.

Donald is going to take care of China.;)

Latest posts

Back