ooooh, not good.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith c raymond

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I found a Dolmar dealer that I did not know existed in my area. It turns out that He and I were in the Reserves together. He has a nice place and a Dolmar 7900 to try out. I was really floored by this monster! I could obtain it for "somewhat" less than its list of 700 bucks. It would come with a 20 windsor bar. Light ,sweet and O so powerful! My wife would commit me for sure!Is this a good price? I can hear it calling me now... :dizzy:

I have heard a price of close to 6 bills powerhead only. If you have a dealer you have good trust in that is worth a lot more than the lowest price.

They can be bought for less money, at least the Makita version, but ask yourself several questions first. What's the value of using the PS-7900 demo? What's the value of supporting a local Dolmar Dealer, which are few and far between? What's the value of helping him stay in business so you can get local parts and service? What's the value of buying a saw from someone who also uses and understands the product? What's the value of getting quick answers to questions. Will you get the same service by buying from an internet store at bottom dollar?

I'm sure your dealer is not making a lot of money on this saw, especially since he already has time involved in showing you the demo, and probably answering questions.

It's your call.

Your helping me lean in the right direction! He is a good guy ,no doubt,And I wouldnt hesitate to go to him for this purchase. But what would my "other"saws think ?Would they be envious?

Kieth, I am sure you must talk to your saws. You are correct in considering the importance of preparing your other babies for the arrival of a new one. Stress that the new one is going to do the heavy work and they can relax more and play. Be creative. We had to do that. Actually they faught like brothers from the time the youngest was old enough to spit. It is starting to get funny now!

I wasnt like this at all till I found you people. Will it stop? can I control it? Looks like ill be going to the bank friday.....

Dolmar and now Husky have been picked up by the 'Big Two' home supercenters here in the states. Whenever these guys pick up a new line of products that were already served by a dealer network, that network suffers mightily, since the 'Big Two' will always undercut them on new sales. The buyer would do well to keep in mind that these supercenters offer NO parts, service or repair support on anything they sell; not even under warranty! If the saw breaks the day after you buy it, they will refer you to a local servicing dealer, the same guy that got screwed out of the new sale to begin with. The 'Big Two' USED to take 'lemon' items back as a courtesy on a NQA basis. Not any more, due in no small part to the dishonesty of some buyers who buy, for example a chainsaw, clean up their storm damage then return the saw for some bogus reason for a full refund. 'Big Two must then surplus this returned item out as it is no longer new. The dishonest buyer thinks "Screw 'Big Two', they are just heartless, faceless corporate giants; they can afford this". These same people would not likely do this to a smaller dealer, one where they deal with the owner of the company personally, directly. 'Big Two' then says "Screw these buyers, let 'em eat cake on lemon units, warranty and parts"
I personally would not want to get involved in that toxic love/hate thing going on 'tween 'Big Two' and J Q Public. Buy your saw from the little guy.

Just My $.02

Jimbo

They dont all come with Windsor bars. I like them though. I usually sell ours with Windsor or GB.
It would be good if you bought it from your dealer.
Local parts and service are very good things to keep in mind as well.
If he is a friend and can be trusted, then its a no brainer.

Hunter

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents - I bought the 640 recently - a salesmans demo...in excellent condition for $317. Anyway, I got to use the this past weekend and was absolutely thrilled with it. Previously I had a Stihl 044, so I had a good saw to compare it against. I don't think you'd be unhappy with your purchase...

Back