OOOPS What do I do now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so I notice people are recommending 50cc saws. Is any thing smaller, too small? I was thinking about a 30cc range just for limbing and saplings then using the 038 for bigger stuff.

If the 038 is getting too heavy, then the solution is a smaller saw for a main saw and bring out the 038 as needed for bigger wood. 30-35cc is too small to work for a main saw, IMHO. I have an MS 210C (35cc) that's handy around the yard but that's about it. I have an MS 260 pro (50cc) that I prefer for limbing and everything else, and I can run it all day, and I'm kinda old. I'd suggest a newer 50cc saw as a main saw and make a project out of the 038. Is there a Husky dealer near you that you might like? I wasn't too impressed with the Stihl guy who sold you an MS 290 which is a boat anchor compared to a 346xp or 550xp with the same power.

I always thought the Huskvarna 435 and Stihl MS250 were nice for their price point. Sounds like either one would be up your alley. If you dont have the time, or are having doubts you can always send the 038 to a Sponsor here. May be cheaper in the long run for you, with less headaches.
I have never been a big fan of the 038, but I know they are built well and have a cult like following around here.

Fix the 038, it's a great saw I have the one my dad bought new when I was a kid and my stihl dealer can get me parts for it or just get them off eBay.

Yeah, some idea of the size and quantity of what you will be cutting would be good. From your description it is hard to tell, but overgrown and cedars doesn't make me think of stuff that is too big. I try to use the smallest displacement saw that will do the job, and find I can do most of my firewood gathering with a light 40cc saw. Your idea to fix the old saw for the big stuff and add a small one might not be a bad way to go.

You can always pick up a used larger saw for occasional use, there are so many out there.

I destroyed my 290 with my brush hog, it would have been nice to have had a mount for my saw so I would'nt have left it on the ground to run over. The little echo I borrowed from a buddy was tiny. It was a night and day compared to the 038. I was able to just fling it around(safely) as I cut up tops. 80% of the the stuff I cut is under 6 inches in diameter. If I fall a big tree over 10 inches I drag the log up to the house so I can cut it an split it by hand or save the log to haul to a friend with a portable sawmill set up at his house. Then I go back and cut up the top later. A lot of the time I am cutting saplings 3 to 10 inches in diameter then brush hogging the brush around it. A lot of the saplings are cut into firewood and loaded into the bucket of the tractor. I'll burn anything not just pretty split hickory or oak. In other words I think I would like to make a mount for a small saw on the tractor roll bar and use it to cut saplings and tops, while brushhogging. I also cut a lot of cedar into posts, naturally this involves a lot of delimbing and not much over 10 inches in diameter. If I have something big I will bring the 038 out and cut it down then cut the log out of it and save the rest for later. Does that sound right? Also I am not interested in a homeowner type saw (poulan wild thing) because I cut wood at least 3 days a week, for 8 hours at a time. In other words, I am not interested in a occasional user saw.

Just noticed a RedMax G3800AVS on the 'bay. Might be pertinent to your interests. Also, it might be 'blowed up', Who Knows?

Not much of an ACE!

Uhhhhh I found the 290's piston 50 yards away from the crank which was laying next to the mangled case. I don't think the 290 can be saved. :msp_rolleyes: But I think I can work on the 038 myself. I can remove and replace I just have never been good at troubleshooting small engines. The 038 needs a new chain and bar,new AV mounts, and a pull rope for sure. It starts and runs but as it warms up it wont idle and takes a heck of a lot of pulls to restart. Where is a good place to get parts? The local ACE hardware has a small engine shop and sells Stihl but they could not get any parts for this saw. They said they could no longer even get an air filter for it.

Man that's crazy! I have the same saw. I walked into my ACE, went to the back where the shop is, asked the guy if he could order me a av mount bolt as I was missing the top one by the air filter, he said, "Man I've got those on the shelf, be right back." He comes back with a whole gallon ziploc bag full of parts from an 038AV that belonged to him personally! Bought the bag for $10. All of the throttle linkage, nuts, bolts, av mounts, on/off/choke switch, caps for the fuel/oil tanks. Got Lucky I know, but anyway, I said all of that to say this. I love my ACE Hardware here and I just can't imagine an ACE Hardware store that is an Authorized Stihl Dealer not taking the time to order the parts you need, because they could, sounds like they aren't much on Customer Service.

But as others said, keep the 038AV, Great Saw.

Do a fuel filter and line, impulse line, and carb kit on your 038. From a Stihl dealer, you are looking at about $25 max. You might need crank seals. The 038 is worth fixing. Get it running right with a good bar and chain and you will see how much less it wears you out.

So I gave the 038 a good look over and it needs a new chain and bar. It needs a new set of AV bushings. A new air filter, and the things you guys reccomended the carb kit fuel line and so on. It has a Bing carb does anyone know a good place on line where I can get the parts. I'm not much of an EBAY'er I havent used it in years. I am going to ACE tommorrow and I will see if I can get the parts. But last time, I didn't have any luck. I'm gonna take my time looking for a small saw, but I need to get a saw running soon. What about the new Husky T435? The little Echo I kept on about was a top handle saw.

hey bill,
it's a shame you did'nt have the video camera running when the brush hog encountered your 290, i think that would be an original here on AS...

good luck in your search...... and don't rule out a 60cc series saw either..

Back