operations of an outdoor wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwinch53

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am tinking about setting up an outdoor woodstove(boiler) My questions are...Does the hot water circulate at all times? when the thermostate demands heat does the fan kick on to blow air thru the raditor into your house but not opening the draft or little fan until the water temp drops? Thanks for helping in advance

I am tinking about setting up an outdoor woodstove(boiler) My questions are...Does the hot water circulate at all times? when the thermostate demands heat does the fan kick on to blow air thru the raditor into your house but not opening the draft or little fan until the water temp drops? Thanks for helping in advance

On mine (Heatmor).the water circulates constantly.

Fan in OWB kicks when water temp drops.

Tstat in house turns on blower when house temp drops.

You said it right in your post. Generally the water is always circulating (there are a few out there that don't.) The house thermostat and the hot water aquastat are controlling the furnace fan and the OWB blower separately. Of course as heat is pulled from the water through the heat exchanger in the furnace it may drop the water temperature low enough for the blower to feed air to the fire. Some systems just use natural draft instead of a blower and open a damper to feed the fire when the water temperature drops.

OWB's are not for everyone - I love mine and can't imagine using anything else. But I say it's an "all in" proposition and you have to want to do it; they are not for the casual wood burner.

thanks uncle john and h-ranch for your response....I had a firechief in the basement for a while and took out due to insurance...at least the mess will be outside and no hauling wood into the basement...they say the eat more wood...so I figure the time i saved by not hauling wood to basement and stacking I can put that time in cutting more wood

I have a woodmaster and circulate the water 24/7. As the others mentioned you better enjoy cutting wood. I live about 20 miles from the facility in Hersey. Was another name not sure why they changed names but something to look into. Mine woodmaster has fans front and back of the fire pot but i know a few guys that have no issue with natural draft OWB's.

The way I understand it Craig took over and is under new management...really nice folks and is factory direct with a few display models in the state...That is why they are less money I guess...they use used 500 gal lp tanks...lp does not corroide the steel...just like new and the steel is 3/8 thick...they say it is the thickest fire box out there...I need to go talk with Craig and watch one made...they also say thay have excellent welds...that is important.

As bowtechmadman says above, it's worth checking into the company more from independent sources. There are a couple of OWB companies that have changed names after screwing over customers by taking deposits and canceling "lifetime" warranties. (It's not just OWB companies unfortunately - seems to me it shouldn't be so easy to close the doors and reopen as a "new" business doing exactly the same product and getting rid of old commitments. But that's an issue for another thread...) They may be good and just getting started as a new company, but buyer beware.

Personally I prefer the pump to be mounted indoors and I may consider a better insulated PEX if that is not high end stuff they offer. Seems cheap at $5/ft but it may be OK.

the pump can be hooked up where ever right...I'm thinking it is easier to change and warmer...and how would a guy check out a co. that has new management?

the pump can be hooked up where ever right...I'm thinking it is easier to change and warmer...and how would a guy check out a co. that has new management?
That's my thought on the pump - quick change flanges and you can change it where it's warm.

I guess I would try to search on the old name of the company, the past owner's name, find some customers that have the new and/or old units, past customer service, and any other info I could dig up. A hour or two of research could save a lot of aggravation later. If you find that the owner is a stand-up guy and all of the users are happy then it just gives you a good feeling if you do buy from them. Hey, they are local, the price is right, and they do have some nice features so it's worth checking on at least. Good luck.

H-Ranch...does the pump make a lot of noise...and if you do not mind...were are you located in mi. i live near Caro mi. in the thumb

My pump is hooked up "on demand" and only pumps when the blower in the heat exchanger kicks on.
Whatever you do make sure it has a switch in the back of the unit that allows you to switch off the forced draft blower in the furnace. Mine is just a simple household light switch.
It is a B!+ch to try to load them if the blower is running.

Mike

H-Ranch...does the pump make a lot of noise...and if you do not mind...were are you located in mi. i live near Caro mi. in the thumb

My pump is mounted to a living room floor joist and I've put my ear to the floor directly above it and cannot hear it. I also keep a spare pump on hand since that's one of the things that can prevent the use of the system.

PM sent.

H-Ranch...I found your thread on your build...I will look at it later...going to watch the first football game at a friends...and a BIG thanks to all for responding to my thread...Everyone have a great day and stay warm...dwinch53:msp_smile:

I have never noticed a difference with blowers on or off as to loading. Front blower is in the door so that may be why it doesn't make a difference.

My pump is hooked up "on demand" and only pumps when the blower in the heat exchanger kicks on.
Whatever you do make sure it has a switch in the back of the unit that allows you to switch off the forced draft blower in the furnace. Mine is just a simple household light switch.
It is a B!+ch to try to load them if the blower is running.

Mike

What Mike said.

Back