Opinion on MS440 piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontanaTed

Addict
Reaction score
I need an opinion on a piston. To me it looks like it is scratched/scored (maybe one in the same).

Left side small straight scratch.

What do you guys think? Harmful to run? Pulling 145 psi on my Guage (with out proper fitting) @ about 3300 FASL.20150728_192025.jpg

If it were mine, I'd run it and keep an eye on it.

Then again, I've heard Stihl OEM pistons are dirt cheap now. Replace and have a serviceable emergency backup?

That piston is entirely fine. It doesn't even show much wear. No way does it need replaced. I would recommend that you pull the cylinder and decarbon the exhaust port. Might as well clean up the piston crown and combustion chamber while you're at it.

Thanks Brad, that's what I was thinking on the piston but I tend to lean on the psrinoid side.

Now if I can build the confidence to do the decarbon work. I haven't done much work to small engines, mostly cars...

That's in the plans, I was thinking of a HD2 filter also.

I guess I've never seen the inside of a 440 muffler, but thus one is empty, nothing in it but a screen covering the exhaust opening.

20150728_191615.jpg

Will do, it's hard not to tinker right now, but I'm thinking the neighbors may not appreciate the noise at 9:30.....draw backs of living in the neighborhood o_O

I'll bet, I had my eye on one, but the 440 will do nicely for now.

What bars does everyone like? I'm thinking a 28" lite weight, not sure on brand. I have large cotton woods I cut off and on. I will most likely run my 25" ES on it for most of my cutting. Been thinking of a Sugi or Tsumura in 28" opinions? Or are Stihl the way to go.

I was looking at that chart Redbull posted.. had to take some serious time! Well for me it would I'm terrible at excell.....

Wish I didn't like shiny objects so much....

I'll bet, I had my eye on one, but the 440 will do nicely for now.

What bars does everyone like? I'm thinking a 28" lite weight, not sure on brand. I have large cotton woods I cut off and on. I will most likely run my 25" ES on it for most of my cutting. Been thinking of a Sugi or Tsumura in 28" opinions? Or are Stihl the way to go.
Nothing wrong with a 440... I just got this one yesterday! I like the 24/25" bar on mine, but I am going to stick with a 20" because I have other saws with 24, 28, and 32" bars already.
image.jpg image.jpg

Back