Opinions on a Stihl 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been looking at one at a local shop. I know they are good saws. I don't own a Stihl and thought I'd never one, but this one maybe too good to past up. I want one for big trees and bragging rights to that come with a big saw.

I has a 24 inch bar. When I pick it up it seem very heavy. How bad would it be with a 36 inch bar. I think a bigger bar would give it better balance.
I'm thinking about offering the guy 500. Is this a fair price or is it too low an offer? It's in good shape, but it's used and has the normal wear and tear.
Any information on this saw would be great.

If its in decent shape, has good compression and runs good it is worth $500. Ask to look at the piston and cylinder to make sure that they are in good shape.:cheers:

ive had one....(and too be honest i with i still did...but im sure dustytools is happy with it!!:cheers: ) but with a 24" bar you won't be all that impressed..it really won't outrun a 066 or a hot 046..well it might but i won't be that noticeable...but man can you lean on them things with a 24" on them!! wow!!...if you are gonna have a saw that big i would say have atleast a 36"er on it..

oo..i'd say ask how much they want for it before you throw out an offer...no need in offering 500 if they are askign 450..know what i mean?

ive had one....(and too be honest i with i still did...but im sure dustytools is happy with it!!:cheers: ) but with a 24" bar you won't be all that impressed..it really won't outrun a 066 or a hot 046..well it might but i won't be that noticeable...but man can you lean on them things with a 24" on them!! wow!!...if you are gonna have a saw that big i would say have atleast a 36"er on it..

oo..i'd say ask how much they want for it before you throw out an offer...no need in offering 500 if they are askign 450..know what i mean?

Good point, they may not know what they have.

The 084 balances nicely with a 36" bar but any way you look at it ..... it's one heavy Some beach. In stock form the 084 really isn't that much more impressive than a 660 but it has the grunt to pull really long bars provided you have someone to help you carry it. :laugh:

A simple woods port and it really comes to life and will just flat pull. :cheers:

Hmmmmmmm, seems like I bought mine with a 24" bar on it. These guys are right though, My 395 runs neck and neck with my 084 when theyre both running 24" bars, however when I put the 44" milling bar on the 084 starts to show its muscles. Good luck!:cheers:

If I were to purchase a saw like that, it would wear at least a 36" bar. Too much weight when there are a lot of other saws that will keep up with it with a 24" bar.

084 rocks

I have one with a 30, and one with a 41. The 30 is well balanced, the 41 you hafta lay it on the log to start the cut.... The 30 weighs 2.3 stone, and the 41 weighs 2.6 stone, or 1,120 silver shekels :greenchainsaw:

Yeah they have some mass, but remember the bragging rights......:hmm3grin2orange: :bowdown: :chainsawguy:

I will admit, the 084/088/880 saws are one heavy tool. I thought about keeping the 088 I brokered, but it was just too heavy to be practical for what I would use it for. The "Lakerized 064" suits me perfect and I love it. I need to get an 066 or 660 though so I dont wear out the 064 since parts are so hard to find...

Uh...that's up in the tree with one hand, hanging by the other...

After packing it into the woods a quarter mile.

Actually, I was a bit tired, and the seventh or so cut I found myself resting the bar on the log just to be lazy.
It is a large heavy saw, but it cuts and sounds so good that it is worth it to have one. It is a fun way to make a small bit of cutting feel like a real day of it if you have been lacking saw time heh heh

That is why I used it on the youtube clip "stihl 084 overkill.":chainsawguy:

The feeling of an 084 with a long bar pulling itself into a 30" plus log is awesome. Kinda scary the first time. It is a very heavy saw to lug around. The only way that it would be one handed in a tree is with a crane holding the saw up.

He wants 650 for it. I can't swing that much right now. If he has it in a few weeks I think I will get it.
He works at a Stihl dealership, so I think it's been well cared for. I found a 066 for 300. I'm going to get the 066 first and then save up for the 084. I just hope I can save up fast enough.

If you are set on a big-inch saw, just bide your time and keep checking eBay and especially the sales that can be had here.

He wants 650 for it. I can't swing that much right now. If he has it in a few weeks I think I will get it.
He works at a Stihl dealership, so I think it's been well cared for. I found a 066 for 300. I'm going to get the 066 first and then save up for the 084. I just hope I can save up fast enough.

Sounds like fair prices, hope you get both.

Latest posts

Back